• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough of this bull****, let's talk more about the Man of Steel

If we post his picture three times then we summon Serb to the thread
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Cool!

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
        HC, I only did that to you because you would post things as facts that were often incredulous. They frequently turned out to be wrong. But had to come from somewhere.
        I believed he just pulled 'em out of his arse, as we say over here. Much like regina, except he'd occasionally claim to have read as much as a whole book, usually by some C.I.A. stooge, ex-Selous Scout or deranged gun for hire mercenary, claiming to give the full gen on 1970s Iranian society, South African economics or Rhodesian political life.

All of which was usually vastly amusing and utterly wrong and easily ridiculed, but hey, they served to confirm his prejudices, so he was happy in in his sandpit.

Man Of Steel meanwhile: Superman- created instead of the Golem as a (Jewish) superhero for his time, but really stiflingly dull. Like Shazam, but without the mysticism or mythology. Henry Cavill quite a looker though. Spotted him playing Henry VIII's future brother-in-law in that silly series 'The Tudors'. Very easy on the eye.

Watched a good Nordic thriller called 'Manhunt' on dvd instead. And the M.R. James Ghost Stories For Christmas compilation by the B.F.I. . Much more entertaining.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I read a book recently by a British writer named Stanley who rode across Mongolia on horseback. The locals had a hard time with his name, but they eventually compromised by pronouncing it "Stalin." Reportedly, everyone but him was very happy with this.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            I read a book recently by a British writer named Stanley who rode across Mongolia on horseback. The locals had a hard time with his name, but they eventually compromised by pronouncing it "Stalin." Reportedly, everyone but him was very happy with this.
            Something similar happened with my partner in Morocco. His Welsh name became 'Idris' to the Moroccans' delight. We then explained there's a mountain in Wales called Cader Idris, which was seen as a sign....
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
            X