No announcement yet.

Man of Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm not sleepy yet and I've nothing to do so what the hell: YHWH is very different from Superman in terms of both his personality and his relationship with the human race. Superman makes no demands of humanity, doesn't ever seem to get angry, doesn't even really interact with humans as a whole. He swoops in to serve selflessly, then swoops off when the job is done and goes back to pretending to be a weenie at his day job, where he's got a few friends plus a love interest. Where everybody else in the comics has demons or a dark side or something, he's a paragon of virtue. The thing is, paragons of virtue get boring real fast, especially when they're literally unassailable paragons of virtue. When you're indestructible physically and emotionally, you're not a character so much as a deus ex machina posing as a character. Also, it's impossible to identify with you. Sir Galahad being a classic example.

The Judeo-Christian God differs in that we're not supposed to identify with Him; He's supposed to be impossibly remote and ineffable. Jesus is the member of the Trinity we're supposed to identify with--because He took on almost all human weaknesses and limitations. There's more to relate to in the story of Jesus, and Christians in general do relate to Him quite strongly. God doesn't really have a story as such; where the OT is colorful, it's because of the human characters. I never read many Superman comics, but I don't remember any of the supporting cast there being too exciting either.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      DaShi, you seriously need to get a damn life. I never read your stuff unless somebody quotes it--which doesn't happen all that often--and AFAICT 50% of your posts are you nit-picking at stuff I post, just going by frequency of posts coming immediately after everything I say. Yes, I get it: you don't like me. Probably because of that incident where I marooned you on Ceti Alpha Six and your wife died--no, wait, that was someone else. You've just got this ineffable The Monarch-style rage-on going for me. Whatever. Get over it already, man. That kind of anger has to be lowering your life expectancy or something.
      We sure do talk to each other, considering you have me on ignore. However, I'm sorry. You don't have the self-control and maturity to properly respond to criticism. I should be sensitive to that. However, maybe if you weren't such an ass to me, I'd consider doing the same for you. I'm growing tired of offering the branch.

Actually, I think DFG should be saying this
      50% of your posts are you nit-picking at stuff I post, just going by frequency of posts coming immediately after everything I say
      about you.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I think you ***** more than most women I've met.

Would it kill you to try the Mobius thing?

Comment

I'm just expressing my opinion. I can't help it if people get upset. They should offer counteropinions. Don't you agree?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It's not what you say but how you say it.

Comment

It's so hard to turn off the charm.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Don't worry, I still love you

Comment

I am trying to be nicer. Most of my posts to him are actually responses to arguments he makes that I disagree with, which he either doesn't read or can't respond to. The actual source of sourness between us, from my perspective, is when we had a discussion on terrorism. While he was adamant in his opinion, I pointed out some flaws. His response was simply to repeat the opinion. I repeated the flaws. He called me stupid and not worth talking. I called him worse (most likely) and he had an aneurysm and put me on ignore. Now I just have less sympathy for the pretentious bull**** he posts and call him out on it. He whinges about how I'm on ignore. And so it goes.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                    Don't worry, I still love you
                    This I've never doubted.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Sounds like a lovers spat.
                      Why you have to take things so personal?
                      If all the kind words you guys have said about me actually bothered me, I would have been gone long ago.
                      You need to grow some thick skin.
                      Theses guys are just reflecting there own insecurities, don't let it bother you.
                      Laugh it off and post the next day like nothing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                        Sounds like a lovers spat.
                        Why you have to take things so personal?
                        If all the kind words you guys have said about me actually bothered me, I would have been gone long ago.
                        You need to grow some thick skin.
                        Theses guys are just reflecting there own insecurities, don't let it bother you.
                        Laugh it off and post the next day like nothing happened.
                        It's not personal at all. I see a bull**** post, I comment on it. You should know this. Many of them happen to be Elok's. The difference is that he throws a fit over them. I can't help that. I post because I want to. That's why I don't care about his ignore. If it helps him cope, more power to him.

What I do try to do, is not cross the line. I'm working on this.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I hear you.
                          maybe you should only make positive comments with him and see where that goes

BTW
                          some people just cant take constructive criticism.

Comment

I'm intrigued by your proposal.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

can you two just **** and get it over with?
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

:wiglaf:
                                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Working...
                                X