Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man of Steel

Likes/dislikes.

Overall, the movie worked but had some very big detractions. Amy Adams as Lois Lane is as big a casting goof as possible. Lois Lane is anything but perky. huge missed opportunity she and Cavill had no chemistry whatsoever. I bought Crowe as Jorel but thought that Cosner was a huge let down as Pa Kent.

On the plus side Cavill was a passable Clark/Superman, and without a doubt the action was top notch on par with the action sequences of Avengers if only in terms of urban destruction. But that being said, character development and plot were sorely lacking. No charismatic supervillain to save the endeavor ala The Dark Knight and certainly no charismatic lead as in Downy and the Iron Man franchise. Cavill was too remote and too alien and never connected with the audience or his supposed feisty love interest Lois. (Yes I understand it was written that he needed to come to grips with his heritage and whether mankind was worthy of his champioining them)

If the intention is a competitive Justice League to go head to head against Marvel's offerings the headliner (Superman) phoned it in and future DC movies need to step up their game. And while it was enjoyable, it didn't bring any new takes to the Superman story or character (as was the case in the Batman reboot vs. the Tim Burton or Adam West versions.)
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Didn't see it, probably not going to unless it falls in my lap when I've nothing better to do. Superman's powers and personality conspire to make him rather boring.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I didn't see Superman yet, but found the Green Lantern movie a couple of years back lacking.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        Didn't see it, probably not going to unless it falls in my lap when I've nothing better to do. Superman's powers and personality conspire to make him rather boring.

Want to see a pirate copy?

Comment

Yes, this is the echo'ed criticism of the character since the '50s. Thank you.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
            I didn't see Superman yet, but found the Green Lantern movie a couple of years back lacking.
            You were not alone in that. It's entirely possible that even the people who made it wanted to punch themselves after seeing it for the first time.

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
            Want to see a pirate copy?
            We have just established that I have little interest in the movie. I think you'd benefit by watching fewer movies and reading more books. Except you'd probably pirate those too.
            1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
              Yes, this is the echo'ed criticism of the character since the '50s. Thank you.
              How about this then, I won't see it because I'm not a 14 year old boy.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

You were not alone in that. It's entirely possible that even the people who made it wanted to punch themselves after seeing it for the first time.
                Reportedly after seeing the final cut to A Phantom Menace for the first time George Lucas said "I may have gone a bit too far in a few places."

He then went on to make two more ****tastic prequels so I guess that wasn't remorse.

Comment

Yeah, it would be more interesting if he were an overpowered psychopath who summoned she-bears to maul children

Comment

DaShi, you seriously need to get a damn life. I never read your stuff unless somebody quotes it--which doesn't happen all that often--and AFAICT 50% of your posts are you nit-picking at stuff I post, just going by frequency of posts coming immediately after everything I say. Yes, I get it: you don't like me. Probably because of that incident where I marooned you on Ceti Alpha Six and your wife died--no, wait, that was someone else. You've just got this ineffable The Monarch-style rage-on going for me. Whatever. Get over it already, man. That kind of anger has to be lowering your life expectancy or something.
                    1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                      Yeah, it would be more interesting if he were an overpowered psychopath who summoned she-bears to maul children
                      Actually, it kinda would, but 1/10 anyway for coming out of left field. Too transparent, man.
                      1011 1100

Comment

It's a very transparent troll, but the Bible provides an example of a being that is allegedly benevolent and omnipotent that people still consider interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          It's a very transparent troll, but the Bible provides an example of a being that is allegedly benevolent and omnipotent that people still consider interesting.
                          Superman doesn't.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

We have just established that I have little interest in the movie. I think you'd benefit by watching fewer movies and reading more books. Except you'd probably pirate those too.
                            Yea, should see my pirated kindle collection

Comment

DaShi, you seriously need to get a damn life. I never read your stuff unless somebody quotes it--which doesn't happen all that often--and AFAICT 50% of your posts are you nit-picking at stuff I post, just going by frequency of posts coming immediately after everything I say. Yes, I get it: you don't like me. Probably because of that incident where I marooned you on Ceti Alpha Six and your wife died--no, wait, that was someone else. You've just got this ineffable The Monarch-style rage-on going for me. Whatever. Get over it already, man. That kind of anger has to be lowering your life expectancy or something.
                              We agree!

Comment

Working...
                              X