Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chick-Fil-A CEO posting more anti-gay comments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chick-Fil-A CEO posting more anti-gay comments.

It's like this guy didn't learn from the bad press the first time around. He did at least later go back and delete his tweet but not before other people had captured images of it.

Chick-fil-a president deletes gay marriage remark

ATLANTA (AP) — The president of the fast-food restaurant chain Chick-fil-A has once again injected himself into the gay marriage debate, this time criticizing U.S. Supreme Court rulings.
    Dan Cathy posted a comment Wednesday on Twitter criticizing a pair of U.S. Supreme Court rulings. Those decisions will extend federal recognition to same-sex marriages in the states where they are legal, and will add California — the most populous state — to the 12 others in that category.
    "Sad day for our nation; founding fathers would be ashamed of our gen. to abandon wisdom of the ages re: cornerstone of strong societies," Cathy wrote, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://bit.ly/12qjRKF ). The post was later deleted.
    Chick-fil-A issued a statement acknowledging the post, saying Cathy was offering a personal comment.
    "Dan recognizes his views do not necessarily represent the views of all Chick-fil-A customers, restaurant owners and employees, so he removed the tweet to eliminate any confusion," the company said.
    Cathy's view on gay marriage has created controversy for the Atlanta-based company best known for its fried chicken sandwiches and closing on Sundays. Last year, Cathy told the Baptist Press that the company was "guilty as charged" for backing "the biblical definition of a family." In a later radio interview, he ratcheted up the rhetoric: "I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.'"
    Public officials in Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago told the company it was no not welcome, though the firm said it set a one-day sales record when after its supporters — including many religious conservatives — held a "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" last year. Gay marriage supporters held a "Kiss In" at the restaurants to protest Cathy's views.

Now, everyone has a right to free speech but if you're the CEO of a company then it is silly to not understand that making inflammatory comments won't hurt your business. It's a publicly traded company and it will be interesting to see what some of the investors think of this guy dragging the company back into the culture wars once again.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Er, last August, didn't their business pick up briefly before returning to more or less the same place it had been before? Anyway, this throws a scrap to his loyal customer base at a time when the opposition are so elated they're likely to just laugh and call sour grapes. It's hard to get people riled up a second time for the same offense anyway. This will prove inconsequential, except to news types and bloggers. Who will wet their pants with excitement for a while before moving on to wet their pants over something else, like some Kardashian spawn's latest plastic surgery or something.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Chick-fil-a's product is good/popular enough that they'd have to do something like condone the killing of kittens to make a dent in their bottom line.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
        Er, last August, didn't their business pick up briefly before returning to more or less the same place it had been before? Anyway, this throws a scrap to his loyal customer base at a time when the opposition are so elated they're likely to just laugh and call sour grapes. It's hard to get people riled up a second time for the same offense anyway. This will prove inconsequential, except to news types and bloggers. Who will wet their pants with excitement for a while before moving on to wet their pants over something else, like some Kardashian spawn's latest plastic surgery or something.
        Yes, for a day they did record business but then sales went down for an extended period of time as the consumer boycott dragged on. The moral of the story is one day of anti-gay people stuffing greasy **** in their mouths doesn't make up for a long term decrease in sales.

The company had been spending much of the last year trying to placate protestors and activists so that they'd end their boycotts and public protests. This had largely worked but now the moron has gone and stepped in it once again. The good news is the corporate guys moved a heck of a lot faster this time and got him to delete the stuff from the official company twitter feed right away. I wouldn't be surprised if he is no longer allowed to make such tweets without getting the content cleared by someone else first.
        Last edited by Dinner; June 28, 2013, 16:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          It's like this guy didn't learn from the bad press the first time around. He did at least later go back and delete his tweet but not before other people had captured images of it.

Now, everyone has a right to free speech but if you're the CEO of a company then it is silly to not understand that making inflammatory comments won't hurt your business. It's a publicly traded company and it will be interesting to see what some of the investors think of this guy dragging the company back into the culture wars once again.
          No, it's not a publicly traded company.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Google Finance provides real-time market quotes, international exchanges, up-to-date financial news, and analytics to help you make more informed trading and investment decisions.

Ahh, that would explain a lot of things then. Thanks, Tubs.

Comment

In the latest sign that all press is good press, Leon Stafford of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that Chick-fil-A's sales soared 12 percent, to $4.6 billion, in 2012. The good fortune follows several years of impressive expansion and strong sales, which have pushed the privately-held company's valuation north of $4.5 billion, making billionaires out of its founders.

First results I got for "Chick-fil-A sales 2012." Then again, HuffPo is a conservative rag.
              1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                Chick-fil-a's product is good/popular enough that they'd have to do something like condone the killing of kittens to make a dent in their bottom line.
                That would do it.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Their product is popular, but it certainly isn't "good".

Oh wow. An overly-battered fried chicken sandwich with a limp pickle on it.

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                  "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                    Their product is popular, but it certainly isn't "good".

Oh wow. An overly-battered fried chicken sandwich with a limp pickle on it.

Well, its actually very slightly battered fried chicken sandwiches compared to other fast food joints. It's good, but not OMG, CHICK-FIL-A!!!1!! as some people make it out to be.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Dont mind me just doing my duty.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Face facts, they also sell GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICHES Why do you insist on slandering the company well if you are going to at least get its menu right you retards. Please check your facts IN ADVANCE of posting.

Comment

Grilled chicken sandwiches are infinitely inferior to fried chicken sandwiches so your point is utterly irrelevant.

Comment

I like chik fil a

There were some dumbshits going around trying to get everyone at CMU to boycott them for a bit so I went around with a Chik fil a bag for like a week. Ate it for lunch every day. It's fun getting *******s bent out of shape.
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              Well, its actually very slightly battered fried chicken sandwiches compared to other fast food joints. It's good, but not OMG, CHICK-FIL-A!!!1!! as some people make it out to be.
                              The thing about CFA is, its food resembles actual food. Perhaps not outstanding food, but food, and that's more than you can say for all the other heat-lamp establishments I've run into--i.e., places in the same fast-food "tier." Look at the sandwich, you'll see lettuce that looks like lettuce, tomato that looks like something you might like to eat. Bite it and hey, the chicken tastes like it once came from an actual, living chicken. When you compare that to, say, Burger King...ick. The last Whopper I tasted felt like an extruded wad of salt, grease and eight-syllable chemical additives.

In addition, in my experience CFA franchises are usually pretty clean and, aside from the Cult-of-Cathy vibe, comfortable places. It's like Mormonism: the restaurant. Sorta creepy, but always tidy, cheerful and well-behaved. Your KFCs, McDonalds, Hardees, etc. always seem as greasy and hopeless as their food. I think that counts for some of the positive impression they give. And their reputation as Christian-owned buys them a lot of loyalty in some circles.

Of course, more upscale fast food places like Panera kick their asses. But that's sort of apples and oranges IMO.
                              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X