What's American Food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's American Food?

Back when I was doing TEFL in Peru, my students once asked me what constituted "American food." Burgers, fries and pizza (of the fast-food kind) were all they knew about it, so they turned up their noses at the concept. I wanted to jump to the defense of the ol' fatherland...but fell flat, because what is American food?

Almost all of the examples I can think of (i.e., distinctively American dishes) are from the South. BBQ, gumbo, jambalaya, greens, biscuits and gravy, fried chicken, and the like. The rest were a few scattered regional mainstays like clam chowder or crabs with Old Bay. Maybe macaroni and cheese? Apple pie? Those feel pretty "American" to me, though for all I know Brits or the French or somebody invented both. Er, hash browns? Doughnuts? There's lots of traditional foods that have fallen by the wayside as modernity and fast food took over, I'm sure.

If you grew up in the U.S., what do you think of as distinctively "American food"? I'd especially like to hear about regional favorites. I have no idea what sorts of food are traditional in Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, or California.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Hamburgers, hot dogs, and pizza are quintessentially American. I think that if you take basically healthy ingredients, and process it in a way to make it yummy but unhealthy, you have "American food".
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

American food also consists of imported food that's been Americanized, like chimichangas and General Tso's chilcken.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Deep-fried Kool-Aid.

Comment

high fructose corn syrup

Comment

Chicken-fried steak, black eyed peas, mashed potatoes and cherry cobbler for dessert.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              Back when I was doing TEFL in Peru, my students once asked me what constituted "American food." Burgers, fries and pizza (of the fast-food kind) were all they knew about it, so they turned up their noses at the concept. I wanted to jump to the defense of the ol' fatherland...but fell flat, because what is American food?

Almost all of the examples I can think of (i.e., distinctively American dishes) are from the South. BBQ, gumbo, jambalaya, greens, biscuits and gravy, fried chicken, and the like. The rest were a few scattered regional mainstays like clam chowder or crabs with Old Bay. Maybe macaroni and cheese? Apple pie? Those feel pretty "American" to me, though for all I know Brits or the French or somebody invented both. Er, hash browns? Doughnuts? There's lots of traditional foods that have fallen by the wayside as modernity and fast food took over, I'm sure.

If you grew up in the U.S., what do you think of as distinctively "American food"? I'd especially like to hear about regional favorites. I have no idea what sorts of food are traditional in Minnesota, Ohio, Oregon, or California.
              All the southern food you mentioned plus burgers and pizza. Maybe they were invented elsewhere but now they are distinctly American. Also throw in steak. And definitely breakfast cereal. I think we invented that?
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

There is also Tex-Mex cuisine, including chile con carne (which is distinctly American)
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Chicken-fried steak, black eyed peas, mashed potatoes and cherry cobbler for dessert.
                  That's Texan though. I don't think the yankees get to appropriate Texas cuisine.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It would be my last meal request. If they're unfamiliar, it's their loss.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                      .. and pizza are quintessentially American.
                      Italy just rang and asked if you could think about your previous post for a moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        All the southern food you mentioned plus burgers and pizza. Maybe they were invented elsewhere but now they are distinctly American.
                        If you eat a lot of pasta, do you get to claim that's American now too?

Also throw in steak.
                        Keep dreaming. You're a couple of millenia late on that one.

And definitely breakfast cereal. I think we invented that?
                        Yep, that one actually is American. Go USA!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          That's Texan though. I don't think the yankees get to appropriate Texas cuisine.
                          Why not? None of those things began in Texas, so apparently anyone can just claim them.

Comment

I think Doritos best exemplify American cuisine, in that they are as unnatural as they are delicious.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                              Keep dreaming. You're a couple of millenia late on that one.
                              We invented the corn fed cattle that made it possible for average Americans to eat as well as your nobility.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X