College student hides in attic as armed criminals barge into home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    Now, if I had kids in the house, that would change the calculation significantly.
    Doesn't make any sense - why would you endanger the kids ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
      You're one of those weak individuals content to be the victim
      I've been shot before. Ain't nothing heroic about it.

Comment

spitballs don't count

Comment

Doc's just disappointed there wasn't a firefight and some dead home invaders. Because, guns are so awesome.

I'm trying to figure out why the victim didn't use his cell phone to take pictures of the invaders and their vehicle.

Frankly, it all sounds made up. Someone knocks on the door and "I could see he had a gun in his back pocket." The they "pop the trunk" on a Ford Explorer (an SUV which doesn't have a trunk) and "I could see more guns." Because invaders of empty homes are all about firepower.

11:30am on a corner lot and no one saw a thing? And they took his shoes and golf shirt? He pulls up the ladder after the door is broken in, plus he calls 911 and his Mom ("I just said 'mm-hm, nn-nn'"), does some texting, but the bad guys don't hear any of that? Family got back right after? Police too? Hmm...

This kid is not very convincing. Can't wait to hear the 911 call.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            Even if i had a gun, if someone burst into my home, armed, I'd much rather let him run off with my stuff than risk an altercation. Stuff is replaceable. Guns are a last resort. If you're being mugged, you only use violence if you think that you won't escape with your life once the guy takes your stuff.

Now, if I had kids in the house, that would change the calculation significantly. But still, best if shots are never fired.

They will run if you shoot at them. Last thing they want is a confrontation.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              Doc's just disappointed there wasn't a firefight and some dead home invaders. Because, guns are so awesome.

I'm trying to figure out why the victim didn't use his cell phone to take pictures of the invaders and their vehicle.

Frankly, it all sounds made up. Someone knocks on the door and "I could see he dad a gun in his back pocket." The they "pop the trunk" on a Ford Explorer (an SUV which doesn't have a trunk) and "I could see more guns."

11:30am on a corner lot and no one saw a thing? And they took his shoes and golf shirt? He pulls up the ladder after the door is broken in, plus he calls 911 and his Mom ("I just said 'mm-hm, nn-nn'"), does some texting, but the bad guys don't hear him? Family got back right after? Police too? Hmm...

This kid is not very convincing. Can't wait to hear the 911 call.

You have a valid point

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                Doesn't make any sense - why would you endanger the kids ?
                I wouldn't, I'd want to make sure the burglars never got anywhere near them.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Yea, no one want to have there kids stolen.

Comment

Even if you have a gun, trying to fight when you're outnumbered is probably a stupid idea.

Comment

Uh, two-to-one odds aren't very good even if they're all armed alike, DFG. Unless this dude was a Navy SEAL with his favorite assault rifle handy, hiding was the smart thing to do. Actually, even then hiding would be the smart course of action, because risking your life for electronics, jewelry and some clothes would be a moronic thing to do. I'll grant you that it would be better to be hiding in the attic with a loaded shotgun pointed at the door than hiding in the attic unarmed, but responding aggressively under the circumstances described would be most unwise, gun or no gun.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                        Then why do you think this guy did something wrong ?
                        he was not prepared to stand his ground. He thought it would never happen to him.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          Even if you have a gun, trying to fight when you're outnumbered is probably a stupid idea.
                          That is why they make 30 round magazines

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Uh, two-to-one odds aren't very good even if they're all armed alike, DFG. Unless this dude was a Navy SEAL with his favorite assault rifle handy, hiding was the smart thing to do. Actually, even then hiding would be the smart course of action, because risking your life for electronics, jewelry and some clothes would be a moronic thing to do. I'll grant you that it would be better to be hiding in the attic with a loaded shotgun pointed at the door than hiding in the attic unarmed, but responding aggressively under the circumstances described would be most unwise, gun or no gun.

Not my course of action but understandable if not use to fighting back

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              Unless this dude was a Navy SEAL with his favorite assault rifle handy, hiding was the smart thing to do.
                              Navy SEALs are smart enough not to throw themselves into bad situations, even with a weapon handy. Only dumb**** make-believe badasses like DFG would think not hiding in this situation was the right decision.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                                Let's assume for sake of argument that we're not talking about muzzle loaders. Modern semi-automatic firearms trivialize multiple homicides. The advantage would go to whoever is behind cover, which would presumably be the homeowner.
                                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X