College student hides in attic as armed criminals barge into home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College student hides in attic as armed criminals barge into home

HUMBLE, Texas – What would you do to escape armed burglars? A college student in Humble saw men with guns breaking into his home, and he had to think fast.

It happened last Friday at about 11:30 a.m. in the 17000 block of Dawn Shadows Drive in Humble.

Darrell Southworth, 20, said he wanted to fight back, but these guys had guns and he didn’t.

“I hear a big pound on the door, about five times, like boom, boom, boom,” Southworth said.

Southworth’s family was working, and he was home alone when the criminals came knocking. First, one of the criminals knocked on the front door.

“I look down, and he had a gun about right here in his back pocket,” Southworth said.

Moments later, he saw a green Ford Explorer backing into his driveway.

“They popped the trunk at first, and I could see more guns,” said Southworth. “I’m thinking, I’m about to die.”

The criminals walked into the backyard and began kicking in the back door. Southworth made his way up toward the attic. He said he pulled the steps to the attic down and sat there to listen.

“I didn’t hear anything at first. Then I heard, 'Get it, get it,” Southworth recalled.

He quickly crept up into the attic and closed himself in. Southworth said he was on the phone with 911, telling the operator the danger he was in.

“I’m thinking the cops need to get here quick, and the cops never came. I’m just sitting up there,” said Southworth.

While up in the attic, Southworth called his mother and texted both his brother and father.

“I was more pissed than anything, because I felt like I was letting it happen, and I couldn’t prevent it,” said Southworth. “I wanted to go beat somebody up. It’s just the fact that they had guns, and I knew they had guns.”

Southworth’s family showed up shortly after the criminals had left. According to Southworth, Harris County Sheriff’s deputies arrived about five minutes later.

The two criminals took flat screen TVs, a cell phone, an Xbox, jewelry, Southworth’s shoes and even a polo shirt lying on his bed.

“It’s terrifying,” said Lisa Harmon, who lives next door.

Harmon, who works an overnight shift as a nurse, was sleeping when it happened. As soon as she found out about it, Harmon had a storm door installed out back. She said it costs less than $200 and makes her feel more secure.

“Ain’t no one coming through that door. If they do, it’s going to be trouble,” she said.

The suspects that broke into Southworth’s home are both described as black men.

Southworth only got a good look at one of them. He describes that man as 20-23 years old with black hair, approximately 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing about 180 pounds. That suspect was wearing a brown shirt, gray sweat pants and black shoes.

Some people are content to be the victim.

Better a victim than a corpse.

And yes, I know you're too stupid to understand that.

Comment

You're one of those weak individuals content to be the victim..........You're too stupid or scared to know any better. If you had fought back in high school you would have not been called a vagina.

Comment

I'll write the headline.

"Nobody hurt in burglary. Victim claims on insurance".
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Smart guy - hide and survive
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

JUDAS ****ING PRIEST! Nerds just don't get it!

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
              Ok, you think youre better of being a dead corpse instead of alive and just lost some items - fine for you - what kind of flowers would you like on your grave ?
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                Ok, you think youre better of being a dead corpse instead of alive and just lost some items - fine for you - what kind of flowers would you like on your grave ?
                I guess it has to do with how we were raised up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                  I'll write the headline.

The deductible may not cover the items stolen.

Comment

I guess it has to do with how we were raised up.
                    Could be - you seem to want to fight while I want to win

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                      Could be - you seem to want to fight while I want to win

I would not fight unless I knew i was going to win.

Comment

This is what normal people in most countries do.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                          Better a victim than a corpse.

And yes, I know you're too stupid to understand that.
                          QFT
                          Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                          I'll write the headline.

QFT
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I would not fight unless I knew i was going to win.
                            Then why do you think this guy did something wrong ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Even if i had a gun, if someone burst into my home, armed, I'd much rather let him run off with my stuff than risk an altercation. Stuff is replaceable. Guns are a last resort. If you're being mugged, you only use violence if you think that you won't escape with your life once the guy takes your stuff.

Now, if I had kids in the house, that would change the calculation significantly. But still, best if shots are never fired.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X