The 90 percent are better off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 90 percent are better off.

The average income for the 90 percent has grown by $59 over the past forty years.

Average Income For The Bottom 90 Percent Of Americans Grew Just $59 In 40 Years
    By Travis Waldron on Mar 25, 2013 at 4:45 pm
    The top 10 percent of Americans have experienced rapid income growth over the last 40 years, but the bottom 90 percent haven’t been so lucky. In fact, average income rose just $59 from 1966 to 2011 for the bottom 90 percent once those incomes were adjusted for inflation.

That’s according to a new study of tax data from David Cay Johnston, who won a Pulitzer Prize for his writing about tax policy. While the bottom 90 percent’s incomes rose just $59, the top 10 percent fared much better, he found:
    In 2011 the average AGI of the vast majority fell to $30,437 per taxpayer, its lowest level since 1966 when measured in 2011 dollars. The vast majority averaged a mere $59 more in 2011 than in 1966. For the top 10 percent, by the same measures, average income rose by $116,071 to $254,864, an increase of 84 percent over 1966.

The difference in those gains has reduced the share of income the bottom 90 percent holds as well. That segment held two-thirds of all household income in 1966 but just 51.8 percent in 2011, Cay Johnston found. Other studies have had similar results. One study found that pay for chief executives increased 127 times faster than worker pay over the last 30 years, and official data has shown worker wages stagnating since the 1970s. That has led to a sharp increase in American income inequality, which now rivals rates from countries like the Ivory Coast and Pakistan.

The biggest driver in that disparity, Cay Johnston wrote, was not that the rich were working harder, “but the shift of income from labor to capital and changes in federal income, gift, and estate tax rules.” Indeed, the estate tax has been eased over recent decades and federal income taxes have become more favorable to the wealthy thanks to breaks for investment income. A recent study, in fact, found that the capital gains tax cut, which benefits the wealthy but does virtually nothing for everyone else, was “by far” the biggest driver in the growth of American income inequality. (HT: Huffington Post)
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

That’s according to a new study of tax data from David Cay Johnston, who won a Pulitzer Prize for his writing about tax policy.
    The Pulliter Prize is an economics award nowadays?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Technological improvement may not be adequately represented in the CPI.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So Mr. Fun is whining about the 10 percent being prosperous and well off on Apolyton?

Seriously. The average education here must be above that percentile. This is great news.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

For United States individual income tax, adjusted gross income (AGI) is total gross income minus specific reductions.[1] Taxable income is adjusted gross income minus allowances for personal exemptions and itemized deductions. For most individual tax purposes, AGI is more relevant than gross income.

Gross income is sales price of goods or property, minus cost of the property sold, plus other income. It includes wages, interest, dividends, business income, rental income, and all other types of income. Adjusted gross income is gross income less deductions from a business or rental activity and 21 other specific items.

Gross income is reduced by certain items to arrive at adjusted gross income.[3] These include:

Expenses of carrying on a trade or business including most rental activities (other than as an employee)

Certain business expenses of teachers, reservists, performing artists, and fee-basis government officials,

Health savings account deductions,

Certain moving expenses,

One-half of self-employment tax,

Allowable contributions to certain retirement arrangements (SEP IRA, SIMPLE IRA, and qualified plans) and Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs),

Penalties imposed by financial institutions and others on early withdrawal of savings,

Alimony paid (which the recipient must include in gross income),

College tuition, fees, and student loan interest (with limitations and exceptions),

Jury duty pay remitted to the juror's employer,

Domestic production activities deduction, and

Certain other items of limited applicability.

Yeah, uh, why are we using this to determine if welfare is increasing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            So Mr. Fun is whining about the 10 percent being prosperous and well off on Apolyton?

Seriously. The average education here must be above that percentile. This is great news.
            What's the good news in the terrible "increase" rate in wages for 90 percent of people?

And how did you correlate that with whining about the ten percent being better off? What about this crazy idea I have, that I think 100 percent of the people - not ten percent - should all be better off?

Comment

What's the good news in the terrible "increase" rate in wages for 90 percent of people?
              What's bad about the excellent rate of increase for the top 10 percent of the people. Clearly - work hard, get an education and you make scads of money. It's awesome news.

And how did you correlate that with whining about the ten percent being better off? What about this crazy idea I have, that I think 100 percent of the people - not ten percent - should all be better off?
              100 percent of the people *are* better off.

You're whining that the rate of change is greater for the top 10 percent rather than the bottom 90 percent. Which is great news. Hard work + effort and some brains - you get ahead and stay ahead in America.

The real question you should be asking yourself is, "why am I not in the top 10 percent, unhappy with my income and posting on Poly, instead of working to better my station?"
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Looks to me like the 90% have gained more than a mere $59:

edit: plz plz ignore Ben he's a moron.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  What's bad about the excellent rate of increase for the top 10 percent of the people. Clearly - work hard, get an education and you make scads of money. It's awesome news.

100 percent of the people *are* better off.

You're whining that the rate of change is greater for the top 10 percent rather than the bottom 90 percent. Which is great news. Hard work + effort and some brains - you get ahead and stay ahead in America.

The real question you should be asking yourself is, "why am I not in the top 10 percent, unhappy with my income and posting on Poly, instead of working to better my station?"
                  The reason for the gross inequity in income is not because of who is working harder than others.

Comment

Came across this article. Are you comfortable eating food contaminated by sick restaurant workers?

Comment

That makes me uncomfortable since I know that all diseases, including HIV, are contagious.

Comment

MrFun, you aren't part of the solution, mkay.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Can you "no thank" a post?
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

wtf?
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X