Don't pick up the snakes in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is hating brown snakes Racism?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
      What is with all the snake hate here?
      People here die from snake bites. The nearest place with anti-venom (maybe) is 3 hour drive if you have a vehicle at the ready, and many people here couldn't afford it (the drive, or the anti-venom) anyways. Even if you get anti-venom, the poor conditions in the hospital aren't going to make it a sure thing you'll recover.

There's no pest control to call to come pick it up ... it's you and the snake who's come into your home uninvited, endangering you and your loved ones.

You kill the snake. It's not hate.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
        Evilution.
        Damn, nobody picked up on it.

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
        But why did that happen in Australia but not in other places? At least not to the same degree.
        Because Australia is more evil than other places, duh.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          People here die from snake bites. The nearest place with anti-venom (maybe) is 3 hour drive if you have a vehicle at the ready, and many people here couldn't afford it (the drive, or the anti-venom) anyways. Even if you get anti-venom, the poor conditions in the hospital aren't going to make it a sure thing you'll recover.

There's no pest control to call to come pick it up ... it's you and the snake who's come into your home uninvited, endangering you and your loved ones.

You kill the snake. It's not hate.
          From that perspective it's fine, however for the others in this tread, I wander how many ever encountered a venomous snake in the wild, let alone around their home/workplace. Over here in Europe, except for two vipers, most snakes are non-venomous, and the two are easy to recognize, plust hospital treatment is a non-issue, so yes - snakes = whatever. Some are even good looking.

Saw this one around my home last year, looks even better live (it's not venomous).

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
            Damn, nobody picked up on it.

Because Australia is more evil than other places, duh.
            You make stupid, unfunny posts then complain that no one pays attention?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
              Is hating brown snakes Racism?

Comment

I saved the life of a Texas gopher snake last summer. The crowd was going to kill it thinking it was a cottonmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                  It's against the law to kill something that kills people?

Oh I forgot, every species of animal somehow has intrinsic value.
                  People ***** about hunting lions to extirpation everywhere, except for the people who live near lions and know people who have been carried off and eaten by them.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                    Hold on dude, Australia is known for doing really ****ty things with their ecosystem. Maybe this time they should err on the side of not eradicating.
                    Somehow human civilization survives despite introduction of rabbits.

Comment

Attacking a snake is one of the better ways to get yourself bitten (and in Australia, chances are the snake is going to be poisonous). Its safer for you if you let the snake be.

As snakes don't like vibrations, a good way to discourage them from being near you is to have an engine running.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Shotgun works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns View Post
                          Attacking a snake is one of the better ways to get yourself bitten (and in Australia, chances are the snake is going to be poisonous). Its safer for you if you let the snake be.
                          No. Snakes generally aren't very dangerous when you know where they are and aren't trying to keep from hurting the snake. Agricultural workers doing their jobs, people sleeping on floors, snake handlers ... those are the types of situations where people get bit.

Armed with a 4 or 5 foot stick (or better) and some common sense, killing a snake is pretty straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                            From that perspective it's fine, however for the others in this tread, I wander how many ever encountered a venomous snake in the wild, let alone around their home/workplace.
                            Its very common to encounter venomous snakes here both in the wild and in your backyard. That said, they're mostly rattlesnakes which typically warn people before they strike (because the venom is valuable stuff to the snake and they'd rather use it on a rodent they can eat than a person which they can't eat) plus even if you do get bite the odds are it won't kill an adult (children are another matter though as are pets).
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

i'm really disappointed at the number of ****ty opinions in this thread. perhaps tomorrow when i'm sober i'll tell y'all why you're idiots. but for now... go **** yourselves.
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns View Post

As snakes don't like vibrations, a good way to discourage them from being near you is to have an engine running.
                                They have terrible taste in music.
                                "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Working...
                                X