Don't pick up the snakes in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't pick up the snakes in Australia

If you go to Australia, like for a polymeet, don't pick up the snakes people.

The captain of an Australian hockey team died after he was bitten by a snake he picked up from the sports ground and carried into the bushes.

Karl Berry, 26, captain of the Commerce-Pints Hockey Club in Darwin, thought the snake was a harmless baby python.

In fact it was a deadly Western Brown, one of Australia's most venomous reptiles.

Not realising he had been bitten, Mr Berry then set of on a mile-long training run.

It was, reptile experts and medical staff agreed today, the worst thing he could have done. The exercise quickly spread the snake's venom throughout his body.

Part-way through the run, Mr Berry collapsed.

Paramedics arrived as other players comforted him on the hockey field at Marrara Stadium.

He was conscious enough to tell them that he had picked up a snake earlier.

'He said he thought it was a python, which would not have been dangerous,' said St John Ambulance operations manager Craig Garraway.

'He was quite unwell at this stage

'When the paramedics looked at his hand they saw the bite mark on his finger.

'The bite was more consistent with a bite from a poisonous species,' Mr Garraway told the Northern Territory News.
    The snake he picked up was a brown snake, found all over Australia, second most poisonous snake in the world, a real tragedy, but quite common for people to die after not knowing they were bit by this snake, it has small fangs and even the baby ones can kill.

If you are a long time reader of Listverse you will remember that we have previously had two lists on snakes: 10 lesser known venomous snakes and 10
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Why didn't he just kill it?

****ing snakes freak me out.

Comment

against the law to kill them
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

It's against the law to kill something that kills people?

Oh I forgot, every species of animal somehow has intrinsic value.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
          against the law to kill them
          This must be the silliest law known to man.
          "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Absolutely is.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Why are there so many poisonous things in Australia?
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Evilution.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

But why did that happen in Australia but not in other places? At least not to the same degree.

Comment

It depends on your frame of reference. San Diego is crawling with Californians. Is that really any better?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

The market says yes.

Comment

I don't like snakes at all. I know, I know. They're not all bad; but my first instinct isn't to look them up in a reference book.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          It's against the law to kill something that kills people?

Oh I forgot, every species of animal somehow has intrinsic value.
                          Hold on dude, Australia is known for doing really ****ty things with their ecosystem. Maybe this time they should err on the side of not eradicating.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I would kill the snake, and wouldn't feel the slightest bit guilty for doing so. If environmentalists want to save deadly snakes, they should take them to their own damn houses and playgrounds.

Comment

What is with all the snake hate here? Some obvious Freudian issues on this board.
                              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                              X