Poly book club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    OK, I'd like to nominate Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman because I haven't read it and there's a reasonable probability that it is a. a good book and b. there are a decent number of people here who haven't read it. Thoughts?
    It's a good book. Read it anyway.

If nobody likes that we can read the Great Gatsby again, I liked that book, it's one of the few assigned books I actually liked in high school. Most people here are so old that when they were in high school electric lights hadn't been invented yet*, so it should be worth a reread with the movie coming out

*yes, anachronism alert, Great Gatsby was written in '25, but be quiet

Watch for the green light on the horizon, HC, or you'll miss the turn off.
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by b etor View Post
      I would like to nominate any of the following, because I have to read them for a class I'll be taking in a couple months.

James Weldon Johnson. Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man. ISBN 0140184023.
      This has my vote, it looks quite good.
      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by b etor View Post
        update? books?
        I started reading Adam Smith's classic works from the 18th century but this is turning out to be some laborious reading.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
        X