Poly book club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly book club

Just an idea I had while reading Elok's book suggestion thread. I like reading books, but I also like discussing books--and I think this is true of many others on Apolyton. So I was thinking we could have, every two months (or some other period of time), a new book for everyone who signs up to read on a schedule and discuss. Thoughts?

Honestly, my main concern is that book clubs are something my mom does, and I want to avoid being too much like my mom.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

how do you know what your Mom really does at book club? They probably do lots of cool stuff under cover
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

This idea strikes me as rather... bookish.

Comment

I'm down. Don't expect me to stick with it though. Modern media have utterly destroyed my attention span.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Modern media and marijuana, I thought.

Comment

Sure, I'm in.
            "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy View Post
              This idea strikes me as rather... bookish.
              Paging Captian Obvious... Paging Captain obvious.
              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                Modern media and marijuana, I thought.
                Yeah, that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  Honestly, my main concern is that book clubs are something my mom does, and I want to avoid being too much like my mom.
                  You could probably do a lot worse.

I actually enjoyed David Eddings. "Pawn and The Prophecy" series. Somewhat like Tolkien, but easier reading and with humor.
                  If you ever happened to play "Legend of The Red Dragon" in BBS days, some of the characters came from the books. Barak, for one.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I can't wait until Molly Bloom posts in this thread
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Is that the name of a book or a series?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        You could probably do a lot worse.

I actually enjoyed David Eddings. "Pawn and The Prophecy" series. Somewhat like Tolkien, but easier reading and with humor.
                        If you ever happened to play "Legend of The Red Dragon" in BBS days, some of the characters came from the books. Barak, for one.
                        I'm sure HC was a big BBS buff back in the day.

Comment

Sloww, I'm 20 years old, I never did BBS.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I will do my best to participate. When do we nominate the first book?
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

Sloww, I'm 20 years old, I never did BBS.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X