Catholic hospital argues that unborn fetuses aren't people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic hospital argues that unborn fetuses aren't people

"Catholic Hospital Chain Kills Wrongful Death Lawsuit by Arguing that a Fetus is Not a Person"
    A major Catholic health provider has successfully dismantled a wrongful death lawsuit brought against it by arguing — in defiance of its own long-held doctrine — that a dead fetus is not the same as a dead person.

The case involves the 2006 death of 31-year-old Lori Stodghill, a woman seven months pregnant with twin boys, who was brought in to the emergency room at St. Thomas More Hospital in Cañon City, Colorado, on New Year's Day.

According to her husband Jeremy, Lori was vomiting and had shortness of breath — symptoms that would later be attributed to the clogged artery that caused her untimely demise.

After he parked the car, Jeremy returned to the ER to find Lori unconscious. Less than an hour later she would be dead of a massive heart attack, and her twins would die with her.

But Jeremy maintains that it didn't have to end this way.

Despite being paged by the hospital, Dr. Pelham Staples, the on-call obstetrician (who also happened to be Lori's personal obstetrician), never arrived. Instead, he spoke with Jeremy by phone.

"He said, 'Well, what do you want to do? Take the babies? Take the babies?" Jeremy recalled to Westword. "I kept responding, 'I'm not a doctor!'"

ER staff, meanwhile, were unable to detect any fetal heartbeats, and the decision to perform a perimortem Cesarean section fell to doctors at the scene, who decided against it.

A short while later Jeremy, who believes the Cesarean section might have saved his twins, filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the faith-based nonprofit which operates St. Thomas More.

Catholic Health Initiatives is the second-largest faith-based health system in America, and boasts 78 hospitals in 17 different states.

CHI claims to follow the tenets of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care [PDF], which clearly state that "The Church's defense of life encompasses the unborn."

But when push came to shove, CHI abandoned their beliefs in order to win a malpractice lawsuit.

CHI's lawyer, Jason Langley, successfully convinced both the Fremont County District Court and the Colorado Court of Appeals to throw out Jeremy's lawsuit on the basis that CHI can not be sued for the wrongful death of a fetus, because it is not a person.

[The court] should not overturn the long-standing rule in Colorado that the term ‘person,' as is used in the Wrongful Death Act, encompasses only individuals born alive. Colorado state courts define ‘person' under the Act to include only those born alive. Therefore Plaintiffs cannot maintain wrongful death claims based on two unborn fetuses.

Jeremy's attorneys are now seeking to have their case heard by the Colorado Supreme Court.

Many Catholics are finding themselves in the awkward position of supporting the Stodghills in their battle against the Church, because they believe a win for the plaintiffs would be a win for pro-life advocates.

I guess money is more important to the Catholic Church than whatever it is they tell their followers

Very simple. They are as Catholic as Catholics for a Free Choice, or whatever else they call themselves now.

Just because they use the name, doesn't mean they have anything to do with Catholicism.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

What an awful story

Comment

1. The husband is a ******, when asked what he wanted to do he says he doesn't know then later on *****es because the doctors didn't do what he wanted to do?

2. 7 months is viable, they should have been bale to save the twins, if they had acted faster, which is
        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Also ZOMFG Lori died and no one told me?!
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

It seems that this doesn't involve "The Catholic Church" so much as "a Catholic hospital network." Still hypocritical, but I don't see any mention of a bishop or priest weighing in here.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
              Very simple. They are as Catholic as Catholics for a Free Choice, or whatever else they call themselves now.

Just because they use the name, doesn't mean they have anything to do with Catholicism.
              Just like you.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Aren't they right though? Personhood is a legal status, and legally a fetus isn't a person. While I support extending personhood status to all human beings the courts see things differently, and this matter was before a court.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

The point wasn't if they were legally right or not. The point was if they argued that fetuses are persons, arguing now that they aren't in the face of lawsuits means changing their religious doctrine for financial gain.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Didn't the story say that there were no fetal heartbeats? The babies were already dead.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                      Didn't the story say that there were no fetal heartbeats? The babies were already dead.
                      At the point they went to measure them sure, but if they had acted quicker when she got to the A&E they might have lived.

Comment

I see noi indication as to when they attempted to assess the fetal heart rates. Generally in the case of a pregnant woman in the ER that would be pretty early on. If the father was available then they were right to ask him what the family wanted them to do.

Comment

The story is a bit slanted.

It looks to me like the poor infants might have died while they were trying to save the mother. The legal argument is about liability, not theology. It's about the legal person. The poor father is looking for someone to blame, and who can blame him? He just lost three loved ones.

My experience of catholic hospitals is they are caring but also practical, sometimes that can seem hard, but birth is really a life and death business.

I'm absolutely certain no-one attending would have wanted those babies to die.
                          Last edited by Alexander's Horse; January 27, 2013, 20:01.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            The point wasn't if they were legally right or not. The point was if they argued that fetuses are persons, arguing now that they aren't in the face of lawsuits means changing their religious doctrine for financial gain.
                            Religious doctrine was not changed. The Catholic Church does not allow hospital lawyers to do that. The lawyers were just doing what they were supposed to do; zealously defending their clients interests.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

It's also possible that one or both of the fetuses died first and the absorption of dead material from the fetus may have triggered an embolism in the mother.

Comment

Working...
                              X