Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When was the last time you had an awesome day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
    Yeah, he'd been sick for several months with what turned out to be a diffuse GI cancer - very close to normal values on his blood work, good urinalysis, no discernable masses by palpating or ultrasound, so almost impossible to diagnose. He just had a hard time retaining food long enough to get any nutritional value out of it - he was never more than 10lbs, which makes his management of big dogs hilarious (he had a great "Go ahead, make my day" moment with my sister-in-law's 80lb champion-to-be Rhodesian Ridgeback "puppy" a couple of years ago. Dog didn't know what to do when Vlady just crouched and dared him to bring it - so the dog backed down. The dog in the cat bed in the cats thread is just under 60 lbs, and Vlady got her trained.

He went from 10 lbs 15 months ago, to 8 last May (but he was pretty athletic still), to just over 6 in January. He was a super empathetic cat - any time someone was sick, he'd hang out with them almost exclusively, although he was otherwise friendly with everybody. For about three weeks in January, he seemed to be on the road to recovery, then he lost back all the weight he'd gained back, and ultimately, I couldn't stabilize his weight because the cancer started aggressively spreading. He was still pretty comfortable and active overall until Valentines day, then he bounced back yet again for a little over a day. On the 16th, things went real downhill real fast, so I had to call the vet and get him in there on an emergency basis so he didn't suffer too much. He really didn't want to go - he was still responsive and engaged and friendly and moving around, but his body just gave out on him. Usually they just sort of let go.
    Wow. That is so sad. Condolences Mtg
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      Neither did Ratzinger.
      Ratzinger was highly predictable - head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, older so he wasn't going to be a long-term pope so no huge factional or political issues in selecting him.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
        Wow. That is so sad. Condolences Mtg
        Thanks. It sucks without him around, especially when I'm working because he'd always be right here.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Ratzinger was highly predictable - head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, older so he wasn't going to be a long-term pope so no huge factional or political issues in selecting him.
          So, MtGdamus, who will become pope this conclave?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I predict it will be....

a Cardinal.

I've seen different points of view - that they should elect someone who is more an administrator than theologian, etc. I don't think response to the abuse scandals will have much influence, but I do think response to the scandals closer to home will - I'm more inclined to expect someone predictably conservative, since most of the conclave was picked by JP II or Benedict, but considerably younger and more energetic. Benedict will undoubtedly be more at home with his books than running a huge bureaucracy. I'd be a bit surprised if they went for another "caretaker" pope with a likely limited tenure. If that's the result, then to me it signals there's some kind of hidden. unresolved factional division among the cardinals, and the selection of an older pope would be kicking the can down the road a bit.

Comment

Burke fits this to a T. I'd be surprised if it were an American.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Burke runs his mouth too much. There's a reason he's where he is. I think it would be classic, though.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your cat MTG. I can't have a cat because I move around too much and Mrs Horse is allergic to cat fur. So I envy you even in your loss. Although we think our second son has the cat personality.

Speaking of dead cats. I can't tell you how bored I am by the papal election, and I go to church every week and gave up drinking for lent. Maybe its the drinking...can't wait to get off the wagon, far more important to me on a personal level
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Thanks, Horise. I've been allergic to cats and dogs all my life. Breathing is really more of a convenience. Especially with this one - one of his many nicknames when he was younger was "Nostril Boy" since he had gotten separated from his mommy at a young age - he was about 8 weeks when he showed up, all grey with road grime and black polka dots from a few hundred fleas, and anemic. Once he was cleaned up, we discovered he was white, originally with a little tuft of six black hairs on his head, but they fell out.

Since he was separated so young (he'd been in the street for a while, given his condition), he had this "I miss my mommy" thing going, and what he liked was to get right up under your nose and feel your breath on top of his head. The last few weeks, he slept by my head, and when I'd turn from one side to the other, he'd climb over me and position himself where he could feel my breath on him - just like he'd done when he was a kitten.

Comment

Sure I think I remember when you got his cat or you posting about him. When I lost my dog I found it hard to get another, in fact I haven't and it's 25 years ago now, man...they repay your kindness but it hurts when they go
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

I was having an average day, until I headed out to the CR and almost stepped on a cobra in the dark. I wasn't bitten and the cobra is dead, so it's an awesome day

Comment

oh yeah that would be a good day, it also shows you're an optimist

Comment

Working...
                          X