Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seven States in United States require a religious test for public office holders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, he's not. Texas totally could have kicked the Union's butt single-handedly but instead decided to surrender because Texans are nice guys.
    What more did they have to prove? There was nothing to be gained by further humiliating the invading Yankees.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
      I thought "under these United States" means to include state level offices, as well as federal level offices when it comes to prohibiting religious tests.
      I was multitasking between windows and monitors and forgot to paste back in a chunk I'd moved around. The "under these United States" construction is strictly referring to federal offices.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        The difference between, "actually defeated", and "would have been defeated", is the magic of the subjunctive. Historical fact says that the Texas army under Kirby Smith remained undefeated throughout the civil war.
        Other than a good song, E. Kirby Smith was irrelevant. Hell, even the CSA government recognized the irrelevance of Texas - it was part of the "Trans-Mississippi Department" which was the polite southern equivalent of "Outer Bum****istan."
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

The difference between, "actually defeated", and "would have been defeated", is the magic of the subjunctive. Historical fact says that the Texas army under Kirby Smith remained undefeated throughout the civil war.
          Other than a good song, E. Kirby Smith was irrelevant. Hell, even the CSA government recognized the irrelevance of Texas - it was part of the "Trans-Mississippi Department" which was the polite southern equivalent of "Outer Bum****istan."

Comment

Hence the insignificance of Vicksburg.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Hence the insignificance of Vicksburg.
              Which is not only not in Texas, it's on the relevant side of the Mississippi.

Comment

Historical fact says that the Texas army under Kirby Smith remained undefeated throughout the civil war.
                Historical fact also says that the Irish army was undefeated throughout WWII.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Germany remained undefeated throughout WWI until they mysteriously surrendered.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Germany remained undefeated throughout WWI until they mysteriously surrendered.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• So if I follow BK's logic, if a country surrenders during a war, it does not mean that that country lost/was defeated.

Comment

• So if I follow BK's logic, if a country surrenders during a war, it does not mean that that country lost/was defeated.
                        Glad to see you recognizing Texas as a country.

Comment

• Now if it would only take the rest of the deep south with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                            Now if it would only take the rest of the deep south with it.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                              So what's the big deal to have those states officially remove them?
                              There is no big deal. Atheists can't win anyway.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                                There is no big deal. Atheists can't win anyway.
                                That's true. Ignorant and bigoted American citizens have the right to vote and vote the way they do, for whatever reason, like anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                                X