No announcement yet.

Dating a Friend's ex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's put this succinctly, she's his problem now.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A good friend, who will help you out when times are hard, is hard to find- and it gets harder to find them as you get older. Are your hurt feelings over this budding relationship really worth blowing that for?

It might also be seen as a sign that you're not over the defunct relationship, and you might want to be cautious over how Tiffy takes that.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Pretty straightforward, really:

You can say anything to them you want. They're of course free to disregard it, which they would anyway.
        Reality is, it's not your business - operative word here being "ex"
        Further reality is, if you don't feel like associating with your "friend" that's totally your prerogative.

Overall, not really worth you giving much time or energy.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I don't think it's really fair for you to try and stop a happy couple from being together because it hurts your feelings. If this is a good friend I suspect he didn't take the decision to date your ex lightly, and yet there was some connection and it happened.

You've also moved on.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Well, obviously he didn't.

Anyway, they have made their decision, you can make yours.

I once didn't see my best friend for 2 years because his brother started dating my ex. Too much painful memories. I told him that and he was fine with it. Still my best friend today.
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

My intuition tells me that she still has feelings for you. She wants to know if you still have feelings for her, and what other way than to start dating your best friend. I would walk away, because you don't want a women like that. And as far as your friend goes, things won't ever be the same between the two of you, even if he helped you through a tuff time, and he knows that going forward.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                Pretty straightforward, really:

You can say anything to them you want. They're of course free to disregard it, which they would anyway.
                Reality is, it's not your business - operative word here being "ex"
                Further reality is, if you don't feel like associating with your "friend" that's totally your prerogative.

Overall, not really worth you giving much time or energy.
                Hey Mike!!!
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

I don't understand why people think self biased is trying to have his friend end his relationship with his ex. That's not what I'm getting at all. Self is upset at his friend for dating his ex and wondering if he should distance himself from the friendship (due to the bringing up of old wounds and such) - not try to force his friend to break up with the ex. After all, the horse has left the barn there.

I'd say that, yes, your friend did violate the bro code (mostly ****ed up option) and you are well within your rights to distance from him.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Az View Post
                    Hey Mike!!!
                    Hey Az, how's everything?
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                      Hey Az, how's everything?
                      Everything is pretty sweet, actually. Pondering my next career moves at the moment. I still bull**** here from time to time. How have you been?
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Oh, I've been up, down, all around. If it got much worse at one point, I'd have started writing country songs, but things are dandy now, except for overwork.

Comment

If possible, don't socialize with them. If they stay together, you can cut your friend loose. If they break up, you can restart the friendship if you want.
                          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                            i couldn't give a civ 5 less if she had started ****ing the entire new england patriots' entire roster. the bone of contention is that my friends apparently decided my feelings weren't important.
                            Well, to be blunt, they aren't.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                              Well, to be blunt, they aren't.
                              QED.
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

And hence, no reason to continue to persue the friendship. I don't want a friend who thinks my feelings are unimportant.
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X