BC/AD vs BCE/CE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC/AD vs BCE/CE

Recently I was told again that we shouldn't use AD/BC in our official documents / scientific papers, etc. b/c it's not a neutral POV.

Well, I can understand that way of thinking and I have no problems with neutral POV, I even think that's a good thing. So if the ad/bc thing isn't considered to be 'neutral' then we should not use it.

BUT...

1. Why is using bc/ad not neutral? It's just, like about all year counting systems, based on the birth/life of one (supposed to have lived) person. That doesn't make it more or less neutral.

but that's not my most important problem with this BCE/CE nonsense;

2. Using BCE/CE instead of AD/BC isn't neutral at all. It's in fact a statement, a message. It says: "We still base our year counting system on this Jesus guy but you're not allowed to say that"
    I'm totally in favor of using BCE/CE, but then base it really on the CE. The supposed birth year of Jesus did not start our common era. If we really have to pick a start date for the CE, then it might be the end of WW2, perhaps even 9/11, or the Enlightening or the Renaissance. We could pick perhaps even the start of the Roman empire or Alexander the Greats birth date or date he took lead in Greece.

But if we insist on basing our year-count on Jesus, then don't be so foolish to rename it. It's not neutral at all, for starters b/c you still base your year-count on Jesus and therefore imply that Jesus did indeed start our CE. And you also just try to change history by renaming something that's been used for hundreds of years after the current popular opinion.

So either stick to BC/AD, and keep it as it always has been, or pick a real new system that's really based on the current era. So till no good decision has been made I'm going to stick to BC/AD.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

**** BCE it is stupid

Comment

Hell's bells. Who made who? If you want blood, let there be rock!
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

BC/AD is stupid because Jesus if he existed at all probably wasn't born in 1 AD.

Comment

BCE/CE is moronic. Use AD/BC, or at least BC/AC if you want to avoid the somewhat more religiously-tainted 'Anno Domini (the year of Our Lord)'. "After Christ" is neutral, IMO, as Christ is a real person, divine or not.

The 1AD being off bit is just how it is - historical inaccuracy. We could fix it, but then we'd have to go back to being in the year 2009 again. Ick.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

BCE is even less accurate than BC/AD - the CE didn't even start till around 100AD, before that it was just a Jewish sect, maybe even much later if you took Constantine's adoption of Christianity as the Roman state religion as a starting point.

The really brilliant idea was having a date from which dates run backwards and forward in time. That was pure genius. Other time systems don't have it.

The other neat historical correlation, because AD/BC doesn't actually accurately fit with what little we know Jesus's historical life (sorry fundies), is it does better fit with the fall of the Roman republic and the reign of Caesar Augustus (Octavius), the first Roman emperor, which was a real turning point in secular western history. The origin of AD/BC probably actually is linked to that reign rather than christianity.
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

AC/DC

There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I vote for using stardate. (posted -310148.1712330499)

Comment

I always use BT/AT. 1968 is actually 1 AT.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

After Torvalds?

I never would have taken you for a devotee of the cult of Linux.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                      BC/AD is stupid because Jesus if he existed at all probably wasn't born in 1 AD.
                      It's pretty obvious that Jesus actually did exist.

Comment

But he wasn't born in 0 or 1 CE, which is the point, no?

I actually like AD. It is one of the cooler unit designations. Let's keep it...
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                          It's pretty obvious that Jesus actually did exist.
                          What?
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I'm not saying he was a magical being, but the historical consensus is that he was a real person.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                              [...]
                              Totally agree
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X