What's the real difference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
    There may be good and valid reasons for that dish in those countries. Still pretty dicey to eat uncooked beef, but if you are confident in the people who handled the meat from abattoir to plate then fill your boots.
    I have visited an abattoir, several times. Some of my relatives in Ireland worked in one in Dublin. It was an incredibly cheap (free!) way to get sweetbreads, which I still find utterly delicious, grilled or fried.

“Mr Leopold Bloom ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls. He liked thick giblet soup, nutty gizzards, a stuffed roast heart, liverslices fried with crustcrumbs, fried hencods' roes. Most of all he liked grilled mutton kidneys which gave to his palate a fine tang of faintly scented urine.”

'Ulysses' by James Joyce

Don't forget, steak tartare goes nicely with a raw egg garnish...

Click image for larger version

Name:	5013_MEDIUM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	9094008
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

If the kidneys still smell a bit like urine, they haven't been rinsed properly.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

If your meal smells a bit like urine, you're not eating properly.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
          If your meal smells a bit like urine, you're not eating properly.
          Moraji Desai and Sarah Miles would disagree (both drank their own piss for health reasons).

It says 'faintly scented' anyway, not reeking like a Parisian pissoir's outflow. I noticed a faintly sour scent from my tripe soup in a Chinese restaurant and thought.. 'aahhh, innards'.

One of my favourite food related scenes in films is from Juzo Itami's 'Tampopo:

I suspect most 'Polypersons would prefer this one though:

I love films with food preparation in them- 'Babettes Feats', 'Like Water For Chocolate', 'Eat, Drink, Man, Woman'... only to be watched on a full stomach though.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            Five Guys sucks ass. Dry ass burger on an overly inflated bun which instantly squishes down to the thickness of a tortilla the second you touch it. Oh, and they know their burgers are dry as a bone and that's why they put so many condiments on it they all slime out the back. Worse they won't even let you order a burger rare if that's what you want because they use such low quality meat the ONLY way they'll cook it is extra well done yet they still want to charge twice the price of what actual good burger places charge. Even their fries are a nasty oily mess without any crispness to them because they don't keep their oil hot enough. Just horrible in every way imaginable.
            You know they only put the condiments on there that you ask for, right?
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
            X