Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the real difference

Between one and two michelin stars?

I ate at a 2 star last night, and while it was quite good, I didn't notice much difference in the food from any of the one stars I've been to. The ambience was slightly nicer, but that's about it.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

I would say the difference is probably on the order of somewhere between $30-$100, depending on what you get and how many people are eating.

The difference may be larger than that but fancy for me is like, Ruby Tuesdays, so I really have no idea about these things.

Comment

Who the **** cares about Michelin stars? Jesus, you apparently can't take the French out of a French-Canadian...

In other words, I don't know.

Comment

Going to paris next weekend, should try to collect more some more stars while there. Dorsia's been murder to get into lately...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

All the food in a two michelin restaurant got it from the front and back tires?

Kumho's are better.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

They stop using conventional oils for cooking, because they have to start using the chef's own semen instead.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

A lot of the time the difference is either a) name, or b) being in the current style (like now, having a small tasting menu offered at the chef's table). One star restaurants are often newer chefs who haven't made their name yet, coupled with big name chefs' smaller restaurants, from what I've seen. I think I've eaten at a handful of 1 star restaurants and none above that, though my wife ate at Grant Achatz' (Alinea) which was pre-Chicago being rated, but is now its only 3 star restaurant... apparently very good, if you don't mind the taste of liquid nitrogen in everything

My preference though is the Bib Gourmand restaurants... I can actually afford to eat there semi-regularly, and the food usually has something quite nice about it (better composition, better ingredients, interesting takes, etc.)
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

and you will find out, in the end, there really is no difference (INXS)
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• One star: A very good restaurant in its category.
                  • Two stars: Excellent cooking and worth a detour. First class cuisine of its type.
                  • Three stars: Exceptional cuisine and worth a special journey. Often extremely expensive, and with an extensive wine list.
                  Personally, I like Zagat's rating system better as Michelin tends to be overly concerned with just French cuisine or French style cuisine. They've got better in recent years (especially wrt Asian food) but they're still mostly pigeon holed at least in the US. Oh, and 1-3 really doesn't give us enough differentiation either even if you are in one of the three North American cities Michelin bothers with (NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco).
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Fancy = Five Guys instead of Burger King.
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Five Guys sucks ass. Dry ass burger on an overly inflated bun which instantly squishes down to the thickness of a tortilla the second you touch it. Oh, and they know their burgers are dry as a bone and that's why they put so many condiments on it they all slime out the back. Worse they won't even let you order a burger rare if that's what you want because they use such low quality meat the ONLY way they'll cook it is extra well done yet they still want to charge twice the price of what actual good burger places charge. Even their fries are a nasty oily mess without any crispness to them because they don't keep their oil hot enough. Just horrible in every way imaginable.

Comment

Personally, I think the Michelin guys are stupid for not doing a guide to Los Angeles too though I guess they're so distant and detached from the US market in general they figure "we already have one city on the west coast so two would be too much". Which just goes to show the weakness and bias of the whole Michelin guide.

Comment

You are completely wrong aboug Five Guys. Five Guys is amazing and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Five Guys sucks ass. Dry ass burger on an overly inflated bun which instantly squishes down to the thickness of a tortilla the second you touch it. Oh, and they know their burgers are dry as a bone and that's why they put so many condiments on it they all slime out the back. Worse they won't even let you order a burger rare if that's what you want because they use such low quality meat the ONLY way they'll cook it is extra well done yet they still want to charge twice the price of what actual good burger places charge. Even their fries are a nasty oily mess without any crispness to them because they don't keep their oil hot enough. Just horrible in every way imaginable.

Only morons eat ground meat rare.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                              You are completely wrong aboug Five Guys. Five Guys is amazing and you should be ashamed of yourself.
                              Oerdin is wrong about everything. It's kind of his thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X