Patriotism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriotism

Something I've been thinking about lately: what exactly does it mean to love one's country, and why is that a good thing? Assuming you do think it's a good thing, of course--I'm mainly interested in hearing from those who do.

I can't say that I especially do. I love my family, my friends, my community, even the land nearby. All those I'm in close contact with. I know them, I can love them. But for me to love my country...what is my country, anyway? The government, or the large group of communities ruled by that government? A set of ideals we in theory all believe in but never achieve? A history, a set of symbols? Why should I love any of those things? I can almost see the ideals, but I don't necessarily agree with all of them, and if a foreigner cleaved to the ones I did believe in more closely than an American, which one is my fellow-countryman?

What patriotism means to me is that, if I were to mediate between the competing interests of a person from San Francisco, Columbus, Denver, Anchorage, Portland or Orlando and one from Shanghai, Oslo, Tangiers, Islamabad, Brasilia or Canberra, I should give some sort of preference to the American, even if I don't know either from Adam. Which seems unjust and stupid right on the face of it--little more than primitive tribalism on a grand scale, like sports fandom only dangerous--but what else does it mean?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Now, in the interests of actually keeping this thread afloat, here is something I got by searching for "Patriotic lolcat."

Click image for larger version

Name:	LOLcatVibrator.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	9093715

How is this patriotic? Discuss.
    1011 1100

Comment

To be patriotic you need to stand in front of your television and chant "USA! USA USA!" during the Olympics. Making fun of France is an acceptable form of patriotism in the U.S. as well.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower View Post
        To be patriotic you need to stand in front of your television and chant "USA! USA USA!" during the Olympics.
        I mostly winced while watching those dudes on the steel rings. Is that patriotic?

Making fun of France is an acceptable form of patriotism in the U.S. as well.
        But Europe does that too, right?
        1011 1100

Comment

How would you like the US to become a client state of China?
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

If you love/support your country's good qualities then patriotism is a good thing, if you love/support your country's bad qualities then patriotism is a bad thing. In my experience the connotation for patriotism is usually "supporting the good while rejecting the bad" at best or "my country right or wrong" at worst, while the connotation for nationalism is "my country right or wrong" at best or "white power!" at worst.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I have the same thought as Elok. What purpose should it serve for me to "love" someone who lives in San Diego, California rather than someone who lives in, say, Montreal, Canada... when Montreal is closer to Atlanta and San Diego is? Simply because we have the same federal government? I mean, I think our federal government and federal society has done good things and I'm happy for them, but that shouldn't automatically be given my fealty simply for that.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Patriotism is about realizing just how blessed you are to live in America. It really is a nice place to live. Unsurprisingly, the ones who benefit the most are the ones who take it for granted.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

So you can't be patriotic about a country other than America?
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

America's the only one that sees it as a virtue.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Dumb **** !
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I have no problem with Patriotism when it's used as a point of pride and the desire to make it a better place for all.
                        I do have a problem when it's used to belittle or hurt others.
                        Since it is easy to equate to nationalism I can see how Europeans have a more negative connotation where it's involved.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          America's the only one that sees it as a virtue.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Since it is easy to equate to nationalism I can see how Europeans have a more negative connotation where it's involved.
                            I don't see why a French man shouldn't be proud to be French, Germans, etc. Losing that would be losing a big part of who you are. I don't understand that attitude whatsoever. I know good friends who are european and they hate that more than anything.

Comment

Some think that type of thinking helped fuel a few WWs.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X