No announcement yet.

Liberal Democrat says Algebra is not necessary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At 16, I gave myself 50/50 odds of being either a rich and famous novelist or a crazy beggar living on the street by 30. I was extraordinarily wrong on both counts.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• So far everything has played out in my life pretty close to how I expected. Of course I'm easily the youngest person here
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
        90% of 16yo high school students think they'll be earning $100k or more by the time they're 30.
        16-year-olds are generally pretty stupid - they are extraordinarily confident in their wildly inaccurate future predictions
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

• They do kind of spin things like if you do well in school, graduate from college, etc. you'll have a good life. That education opens up all doors. I think that was very much true for our parents and grandparents but the message hasn't been updated.

It's not the kids. It's what the kids are being told.
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Things might have been different at your elite high school, but at my public high school they told us the median incomes for college graduates with various majors, and the BS's almost always won over the BA's. Only an idiot would look at that data and still predict that they'd be making 100K per year by the age of 30 with a literature degree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              What school did you go to?
              Eastern Illinois University. When I chose to go to EIU, I originally thought I wanted to pursue a PhD in History and pursue a career in teaching at a four-year college or university. So I chose to go with a program that includes completing a thesis.

But, about halfway through my final semester I changed my mind and decided not to go on for the PhD and I became interested in possibly teaching at a community college somewhere. The problem is, is that the program I have completed and graduated from at EIU was for research-oriented graduate students who planned to become university professors. I'm interested in community college teaching, but I never took any courses in teaching methodology because the program was not meant for planning for a career in community college teaching.

Right now, all I have to show for, is a year and half experience in community college teaching as an adjunct with no positive letter of recommendation and starting in October, I'll be teaching a US History class online for a college. I hope to do well enough then, to get a letter of recommendation that I can use when I resume searching for and applying for community college teaching positions.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• You went to the same school as Tony Romo.

How did you get no positive letter of recommendation? Dude, you need to go all in if your degree is not doing you any favors. You got to do better than that. I got fired at Wells Fargo for cursing but my old boss said she'd give me a letter of recommendation if I ever needed it. You have to do better next time.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                  Things might have been different at your elite high school, but at my public high school they told us the median incomes for college graduates with various majors, and the BS's almost always won over the BA's. Only an idiot would look at that data and still predict that they'd be making 100K per year by the age of 30 with a literature degree.
                  Those numbers are just averages. There are some people who make a lot of money with a BA degree.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                    Those numbers are just averages. There are some people who make a lot of money with a BA degree.
                    Thanks for your terrible contribution to the thread

Comment

Thanks for your terrible contribution to the thread
                      You must not understand it's importance. Anyone who picks a major based on some average number isn't thinking right.

Comment

• Thanks for your terrible contribution to the thread
                        On average the contributions to this thread are terrible. Some people make a terrific contribution to the thread.
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          You must not understand it's importance. Anyone who picks a major based on some average number isn't thinking right.
                          Depends on what their intentions are when choosing a major. If their intention is to graduate and then acquire a low-paying job that's related to their major, or a moderately-paying job that's unrelated to their major, then they are right to dismiss salary data. If on the other hand their intention is to graduate and get rich even though their major has a low median income, then they're even dumber than people who play the lottery - a lottery player gambles a few bucks in order to get rich, while the clueless liberal arts major gambles thousands of dollars in order to get rich.

Comment

Depends on what their intentions are when choosing a major. If their intention is to graduate and then acquire a low-paying job that's related to their major, or a moderately-paying job that's unrelated to their major, then they are right to dismiss salary data. If on the other hand their intention is to graduate and get rich even though their major has a low median income, then they're even dumber than people who play the lottery - a lottery player gambles a few bucks in order to get rich, while the clueless liberal arts major gambles thousands of dollars in order to get rich.
                            Umm no. Salaries for those with BS degrees aren't that much higher. In most cases the difference is 1k per year.

Comment

• You are lying, again

You know who else was a liar? Stalin-Hitler-Tamerlane.

Comment

You are lying, again

You know who else was a liar? Stalin-Hitler-Tamerlane.
                                So you are suggesting that everyone get a degree in petroleum engineering? That's the worst advice I've ever heard. I take it that you don't know that some options offer either a BA or a BS. Typically the BS only tends to pay 1k or so more.

Comment

Working...
                                X