Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does this happen? Chick-fil-A branded as anti-gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
    Example is flawed, that is a nonprofit known as PSU.
    True. PSU receives state funding.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Another thing I thought of in lieu of the discussion of free speech and its limitations.

Employers snoop around on job applicants' Facebook pages to look for reasons not to hire the person. Say an employer is a Republican, and he finds that a very well-qualified applicant is a true blood Democrat on the applicant's Facebook page. So, he decides not to hire the guy.

This is illegal to discriminate against those who have different political affiliations or opinions, but then, murder is illegal and murder still happens.

But my question to anyone in here. Are job applicants' right to free speech being violated when employers refuse to hire them based on personal content found on said applicants' Facebook pages? The reason I ask this, is because some have pointed out that while the mayor of Boston has not technically taken away right to free speech from CFA executives, the mayor still sought to squelch such free speech through negative retribution. I would think that same reason has to apply to job applicants and their right to free speech free from retribution.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrFun View Post
        Yeah, I mean it's not like Hitler used words and speeches to help convince Germans that Jews were inhuman, leading to that little thing called the Holocaust . . .

um, wait a minute . . .
        Yeah, I mean it's not like Hitler gained power through an electoral process, allowing him to kill millions... um, wait a minute, he did. I guess we should ban elections.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          Yeah, I mean it's not like Hitler gained power through an electoral process, allowing him to kill millions... um, wait a minute, he did. I guess we should ban elections.
          Hitler gained power because the Nazis wore costumes. That is why many US theatres banned the wearing of costumes.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• It's not really possible to compare Australian politics with ours, the systems are completely different (technically and culturally) and just because they produced a Hitler doesn't mean we'll ever export one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
              It's not really possible to compare Australian politics with ours, the systems are completely different (technically and culturally) and just because they produced a Hitler doesn't mean we'll ever export one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                I wouldn't have a problem with it. If a business doesn't want black customers then they should be free to state just that. Same as if they didn't want white customers, Christian customers, etc.
                I forget what a horrible person you are sometimes.

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                Which is why that mosque just happened to be constructed there and not on the other side of Manhattan. Odd coincidence that.
                Originally posted by USNews
                Despite what you might have heard, a 13-story mosque is not going to be built at ground zero in lower Manhattan. For that matter, a 13-story mosque is not going to be built within a few blocks of ground zero. Rather a 13-story building is going up which will contain, among other things, a mosque.

This might seem like an academic distinction, but in the heated debate surrounding Park51, or as the building is known more commonly, the "ground zero mosque," it really is an important one.

First here are the facts: The building in question is planned to be a Muslim community center, a sort of YMCA (or, I suppose, YMMA). The plans are for it to have fitness facilities (swimming pool, gym, basketball court), a 500-seat auditorium, a restaurant and a cooking school, exhibition space, a library, art studios, a 9/11 memorial--the impudence! the outrage!--and childcare facilities (which no doubt will soon be referred to as a "Manhattan Madrasa"). And it's also going to house a mosque.

But calling the entire building a mosque is a bit like referring to the Empire State Building as a 103-story Walgreens because the pharmacy chain has a store on the ground floor.

And for that matter it's important to keep in mind that it's not at ground zero. It's two blocks north of ground zero, on a street running parallel to the old World Trade Center site.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  Well, if such rules were applied to politicians they would be abused before the ink was dry. And not by the Democrats; they'd try to abuse them, sure, but they are not known as the party of competent political maneuvering. The GOP would run circles around them.
                  So as when Americans discuss healthcare, gun control and most other things, we should just forget that other countries have had these laws for years and made them work fine, and just assume that in the US it would just be completely different and unworkable?

Comment

• I really never liked Chick-Fil-A, but now I might give them a second chance. I just figured out where I'm going for lunch today.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• I wouldn't have a problem with it. If a business doesn't want black customers then they should be free to state just that. Same as if they didn't want white customers, Christian customers, etc.
                      I can't believe this man calls himself a christian. What a bigoted ass.

And in Chicago their attempt to stop it is based a zoning type law.
                      Chick-fil-A has already obtained zoning approval to build a restaurant in the 2500 block of North Elston. But, the company still needs City Council approval to divide the land and purchase a lot near Home Depot.
                      If they were building it in different location that was already zoned for it, there is nothing the city could do. But here, it requires a city council vote which is where the politics comes in.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                        It's not really possible to compare Australian politics with ours, the systems are completely different (technically and culturally) and just because they produced a Hitler doesn't mean we'll ever export one.
                        And here I was beginning to worry that I might be going senile.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          Is this before or after they scrape what's left of you off the pavement?
                          Now that wouldn't be the Christian thing to do.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                            I can't believe this man calls himself a christian. What a bigoted ass.

And in Chicago their attempt to stop it is based a zoning type law.

If they were building it in different location that was already zoned for it, there is nothing the city could do. But here, it requires a city council vote which is where the politics comes in.
                            Who could've predicted this.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                              So as when Americans discuss healthcare, gun control and most other things, we should just forget that other countries have had these laws for years and made them work fine, and just assume that in the US it would just be completely different and unworkable?
                              How does that work, then? How can you make it legal to declare that certain remarks are off-bounds and grounds for censure, and prevent the process from being used by those in power to muzzle the opposition? Someone has to decide which kinds of remark are no good, and someone (hopefully someone else, and best of all several people) has to judge each individual incident.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                                How does that work, then? How can you make it legal to declare that certain remarks are off-bounds and grounds for censure, and prevent the process from being used by those in power to muzzle the opposition? Someone has to decide which kinds of remark are no good, and someone (hopefully someone else, and best of all several people) has to judge each individual incident.
                                How is that different from say a slander case? It still comes down to a judge or some such making a decision based on a set of rules. I don't see what your argument is here really given that countries like the UK and Canada already do this without any political muzzling occuring.

Comment

Working...
                                X