X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Knight Rises

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/g...re-in-denver-1
    Gunman kills 14, wounds 50 at Batman premiere in Denver

A gunman opened fire early Friday at a suburban Denver movie theatre on the opening night of the latest Batman movie The Dark Knight Rises, killing 14 people and injuring at least 50 others, authorities said.

The gunman, who is in custody, stood at the front of the theatre and fired into the crowd around 12:30 a.m. MT at a multiplex theatre in a mall in Aurora.

"Witnesses tell us he released some sort of canister. They heard a hissing sound and some gas emerged and the gunman opened fire," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said at a news conference.

Police, ambulances and emergency crews swarmed on the scene after frantic calls started flooding the 911 switchboard, officials said.

Officers found the gunman near a car behind the theatre.

"A gas mask, rifle, handgun [and] at least one additional weapon [were] found inside," he said.

The suspect was taken into custody, but no name was released. Oates said there's no evidence of any other attackers. There was also no immediate word of any motive.

'We heard people screaming'

The suspect spoke of "possible explosives in his residence. We are dealing with that potential threat," Oates said, without providing details on where that was.

He said police also checked for explosives in the parking lot and at the Century 16 theatre and secured those areas.

Witness Hayden Miller told KUSA-TV that he was inside Theater 16 and heard several shots.

"Like little explosions going on and shortly after that we heard people screaming," he told the station.

Hayden said at first he thought it was part of a louder movie next door. But then he saw "people hunched over leaving [the] theatre."

The police chief said 10 victims died at the theatre and four at area hospitals.

Aurora is located on the southeast outskirts of Denver, about 16 kilometres from downtown.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	candle_flickering.gif
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	9135554
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Apparently he stormed in through one of the exit doors clad in a helmet and a bullet-proof vest, so it would appear that he wanted to survive the encounter. In that respect he sort of reminds me of Andre Breivick. I'm sure we'll get some sort of statement of his motives very soon.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

This makes 2 dead at a neighborhood BBQ look rather pedestrian in comparison.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

Why does Twitter leave up the pages of people who are dead?

Doesn't it have a facebook-like deactivation procedure?

Comment

Very sad.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

So is it legal to own an "AK-like" assault rifle in Colorado?
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                  Why does Twitter leave up the pages of people who are dead?

Doesn't it have a facebook-like deactivation procedure?

http://twitter.com/TOMMYMARTH
                  Why do you go looking for twitter pages of people that are dead?

Comment

This is simply bizarre.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                      Why do you go looking for twitter pages of people that are dead?
                      It's hard not to when every other story of this shooting mentions this reporter and how she was tweeting up until she died.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        So is it legal to own an "AK-like" assault rifle in Colorado?
                        Yeah, of course. It's just a semi-automatic rifle with a detachable magazine.
                        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

:|

I just do not understand America.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Those are legal in Canada, too, Asher.

In fact I'm pretty sure all of these guns are legal in Canada. Does Canada allow handguns?
                            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                              Those are legal in Canada, too, Asher.

In fact I'm pretty sure all of these guns are legal in Canada. Does Canada allow handguns?
                              It's very, very difficult to get a handgun license in Canada. They're very rare. They are "restricted firearms".

Assault rifles are grandfathered for current owners in Canada but no new licenses are being issued. Existing are to be destroyed upon the owner's death or lapse of license.

Comment

Working...
                              X