Philly court vs. the Papacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Didn't England try to kill us all once before? How did that work out? What are you going to say when the last vestiges of the Test Act are binned? I'm looking forward to the day when the King converts back.

OK, you've gone mad now.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

OK, you've gone mad now.
      Now?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

And you base that opinion on... what exactly? Are you going to give a couple examples of rich liberals? Yeah, John Kerry is rich, therefore MOST RICH PEOPLE MUST BE DEMOCRATS! That makes so much sense!
        Someone did a study tying ideology and the top 1 percent of 1 percent of all political donations. The results are pretty stark. I made a poll, because I'm interested in seeing what Poly chooses.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Well, madder.

This is not asking for the worldwide application of English law. It's about application of the relevant judicial system of the land in which the crime took place, with no special exemptions for priests (or anyone else).

Comment

This is not asking for the worldwide application of English law. It's about application of the relevant judicial system of the land in which the crime took place, with no special exemptions for priests (or anyone else).
            I understand that. I agree that should be how things work. I'm not so worried about the situation as it stands today, I'm looking from a very different perspective.

I know that what I'm advocating is rather daft.

I don't have faith that the England that is England today is going to be the same England we see say, 20-30 years down the line. That is my concern. If extraterritoriality is what it takes to preserve the independence of the Catholic priests from the individual states, then that's the only road I can see that does this successfully. If arguing the salient points now preserves this for later on...well, that's why I'm arguing for it. I don't expect a single person here to agree with me, or even the folks who would otherwise be on my side to understand.

That's ok though!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
              I understand that.

Then why have you spent so long arguing otherwise, you halfwit?

So to sum up, your argument is based not on how the world actually is, but on how it might be if places inexplicably started trying to wipe out Catholicism by unjustly locking up its priests- a situation only existing in your head? And therefore they should have, right now, an escape route from normal criminal justice?

If anyone really was opposed to Catholicism, they'd insist you carry on making these sort of arguments. You're a PR disaster.

Comment

Then why have you spent so long arguing otherwise, you halfwit?
                Because I think it's important to carry on further than the next meal?

but on how it might be if places inexplicably started trying to wipe out Catholicism by unjustly locking up its priests- a situation only existing in your head? And therefore they should have, right now, an escape route from normal criminal justice?
                One, it's a situation that is prevalent in many different places in the world.

Two, hostility towards Catholicism is increasing in many western nations that see the Catholic church as a barrier to their glorious secular utopia. Times get tough- they do what they've always done and raid the Church and take what they can haul away. If the choice is between not paying for welfare and the goodies, and between taking all the Church property, which do you think the state is going to choose?

If anyone really was opposed to Catholicism, they'd insist you carry on making these sort of arguments. You're a PR disaster.
                When was the last person you successfully convinced to join the Catholic church?

Comment

Working...
                X