No announcement yet.

President Obama Announces Support for Gay Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So President Obama has announced that he personally supports same-sex marriage, but believes that it's still a matter for the states.

Congratulations, Mr. President; your many years of soul-searching have brought you to the public position that's been held for a number of years by...Dick Cheney.

Coming up next: President Jefferson announces his personal opposition to slavery! Stay tuned!
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

In all fairness Rufus, if Obama had discovered that one of his daughters were gay, he might have taken that position year ago also.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
        So President Obama has announced that he personally supports same-sex marriage, but believes that it's still a matter for the states.

Congratulations, Mr. President; your many years of soul-searching have brought you to the public position that's been held for a number of years by...Dick Cheney.

Coming up next: President Jefferson announces his personal opposition to slavery! Stay tuned!
        Obama didn't need a lesbian daughter to come to this decision.

Edit: Too slow.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Does this mean anything? Sounds like he's supporting the status quo (leaving it to the states).
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            "Well, if that is the way the political winds are blowing, let no-one say that I do not blow."

Good to see a continuation of the proud MrFun tradition of a massive copy-paste related to gay rights, presented with minimal commentary.
            And god forbid Romney change his views.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

"I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

Edit: Too slow.
                That's a good explanation for Cheney's position. It's a horrible excuse for why it took a Democratic president years to come to the same tentative position. What, Obama has no gay friends or colleagues? The Democrats are supposed to be the party of empathy -- that's certainly how they see themselves. What took him so long?

And, you know, forget Cheney. This is the position my 80-year-old, high-school-educated Catholic mother holds (no gay kids for her, either), and has held for years. Really, the president is lagging behind my mother on this issue?
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Actually the "ONLY" thing I admired about him. Even with his daughter, I'm sure it wasn't easy publicly supporting that.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And so the surge of Obamania will overtake my facebook news feed and the media...

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      I hate to say it (I agree with same sex marriage), but for those who rail against Romney for being a flip flopper, Obama is no better on this issue. Spare me this "evolving on the issue" stuff. There is a quote from 1996, where Obama says he's for same sex marriage. His views "devolved" when he was running for state Senate and continued to 2008 when he was against it. And then when public opinion shifted the other way...

Though it is a good thing that he finally declares for it, seeing as how that appeared to be his position since 1996, but decided to lie about it for political purposes (how is this different from Romney now?)
                      Yes, Obama "flip-flopped" on this issue by switching from the slightly bigoted civil union position to the non-bigoted same sex marriage position. This puts him on the same level as Romney how....?

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        Does this mean anything? Sounds like he's supporting the status quo (leaving it to the states).
                        If the Democrats can regain control of Congress then DOMA might get repealed.

Comment

So what is it, people? Obama changed his position or did he intentionally mislead the American people the past several years?

Comment

In terms of actual changes? No. Symbolically it means something.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                              Yes, Obama "flip-flopped" on this issue by switching from the slightly bigoted civil union position to the non-bigoted same sex marriage position. This puts him on the same level as Romney how....?
                              Hey now. Don't spoil Imran's whining over Obama's flip flopping into a positive direction.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

So what is it, people? Obama changed his position or did he intentionally mislead the American people the past several years?
                                Obama changed his position and mislead the idiots in Illinois

Comment

Working...
                                X