Privately owned guns save more lives than they take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
    Owning a gun makes you less insecure about your tiny little insufficient penis.
    Depends on what kind of gun. If someone owns a .22 rifle, it's probably not as compensation.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
      Please read the whole post. 40% of those who claim they fired defensively stated that they did hit their target.
      When I said "them" I meant the people who thought they hit. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        Depends on what kind of gun. If someone owns a .22 rifle, it's probably not as compensation.
        The M16 is a .22 and that's a powerful weapon.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I meant .22LR, not 5.56 nato.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            I meant .22LR, not 5.56 nato.
            Just don't go hunting deer with it. It's inhumane.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Deer hunting is for the birds
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                Deer hunting is for the birds
                Whoa! Those must be some pretty big parakeets!
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                  When I said "them" I meant the people who thought they hit. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
                  If you read the study you'd find that most of the situations involving "DGU" were relatively close range, less than 50 feet. Firing at an adult form at that range a hit percentage of 40% isn't unexpected. OTOH the survey by Kleck was conducted at the end of the 1980's - beginning of the 1990's at a time when the total number of reported cases of "justifiable homicide" nationally was about 300 / year. It's ludicrous to suggest that 200,000 people fired upon "perps" at a less than 50 foot distance and only killed 300.

Comment

Uhm, when is someone going to bring up deaths by gunshot in the US vs the civilised world?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                      Uhm, when is someone going to bring up deaths by gunshot in the US vs the civilised world?
                      When is someone going to bring up the high gun ownership rates and low crime in Switzerland, Sweden, and Norway?

Americans are ****ed up. But that's because of our culture; not because we have a lot of guns. We just don't know how to appreciate our freedoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        When is someone going to bring up the high gun ownership rates and low crime in Switzerland, Sweden, and Norway?

Americans are ****ed up. But that's because of our culture; not because we have a lot of guns. We just don't know how to appreciate our freedoms.
                        Those countries have low crime because they have extremely high social welfare systems that mean people don't need to commit crime. They're attitudes to gun ownership are also completely different to Americas. You never hear people speaking in aggressive terms about the right of gun ownership in Norway, it just isn't done.

Comment

The Soviet Union had a big social welfare system and it had a lot of crime.

Comment

Nazi Germany allowed gun ownership, whats your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                              If you read the study you'd find that most of the situations involving "DGU" were relatively close range, less than 50 feet. Firing at an adult form at that range a hit percentage of 40% isn't unexpected. OTOH the survey by Kleck was conducted at the end of the 1980's - beginning of the 1990's at a time when the total number of reported cases of "justifiable homicide" nationally was about 300 / year. It's ludicrous to suggest that 200,000 people fired upon "perps" at a less than 50 foot distance and only killed 300.
                              While I have to agree that the numbers just don't add up, firing a pistol at 50 feet under duress, I'd expect a much much less hit rate, and most of those not being fatal. And I'd expect the people surveyed to exaggerate their hit rate. But yes, a 200,000/ratio is ludicrous to believe.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

In the year 2000 there were about 75,000 non-fatal gun woundings and 30,000 gunshot fatalities, so there is about a 30% chance that a person being shot will die. Also, most DGUs occurred at under 50 feet, 50 feet isn't the average, it's the limit.

Comment

Working...
                                X