Privately owned guns save more lives than they take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    You have like five really good universities, the US has a hundred or more.
    Do you ever stop being stupid and wrong? We have 8 in the top 30 alone. Try going and looking at that site I linked and you'll find that once you get outside the top 30 or so, the dominance of US/UK universities immediately drops off.

As with the UK your top universities are great, but the majority aren't noticably better than the ones in a dozen other countrires.

Comment

Well, there are some really good ones in Britain, like Cambridge and Oxford and University College London, just not nearly as many as in the US.

EDIT: Is it University College or Imperial College that's really good, or is it both?
      For the population/money spent they do better.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• That is a syllogism.

Fun fact: In 2002 the average black American household earns more money than the average Swedish household. The study listed discusses income before taxes, which of course are significantly higher in Sweden than in the United States. The disparity has only increased over time. So please, don't claim that Sweden lacks poverty, because compared to Americans, Swedes are in poverty.

EDIT: reply to post 100.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
          That is a syllogism.

Fun fact: In 2002 the average black American household earns more money than the average Swedish household. The study listed discusses income before taxes, which of course are significantly higher in Sweden than in the United States. The disparity has only increased over time. So please, don't claim that Sweden lacks poverty, because compared to Americans, Swedes are in poverty.

That is without a doubt the dumbest thing you've ever said.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
            That is without a doubt the dumbest thing you've ever said.
            So why don't you demonstrate why the Haaretz article and Wolfram data is wrong?
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• How is it dumb? Swedes are 25% poorer than we are. The reason is social welfare and big government. Sure, there might be less disparity within the population, but our poorest people are wealthier than their poorest people.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                what is preposterous?

1) poverty is a major cause of crime.
                2) an effective social welfare system reduces poverty.

do you disgaree with either of these propositions?
                Obviously an effective social welfare system reduces poverty. The problem is, how do we make sure our social welfare system is effective? Throwing money at it doesn't make it work.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                  That is a syllogism.

See how Swedish people live.

They aren't in poverty mostly. And those that are, have a better life than those in the US in poverty.

American taxes are not that much lower than other countries. At least for the middle class (it is lower for the wealthy) or poor.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                    Obviously an effective social welfare system reduces poverty. The problem is, how do we make sure our social welfare system is effective? Throwing money at it doesn't make it work.
                    Welfare reform forced a whole lot of bums to get jobs

Comment

So why don't you demonstrate why the Haaretz article and Wolfram data is wrong?
                      Visit.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Me visiting Sweden would not alter the reality that we have more money and more stuff than they do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          See how Swedish people live.

They aren't in poverty mostly. And those that are, have a better life than those in the US in poverty.

American taxes are not that much lower than other countries. At least for the middle class (it is lower for the wealthy) or poor.

JM
                          WTF dude. They have less money with PPP. The only reason you can say they aren't in poverty is because in the US, poverty is still pretty comfortable, and 75% of the US poverty rate is pretty nice in most of the world. If they earned that in the US, you'd decry our horrible Swedish immigrant underclass that needs to be lifted up by its bootstraps.

And the taxes are WAY less in America. You are completely wrong! The only tax rate in America that is "high" is the corporate rate. Swedes have a huge personal income tax AND a VAT.

Comment

• Right, the VAT: We don't have a 20% surcharge on EVERY SINGLE ITEM that we buy.

I do pay 8% sales tax though. **** New York.

Comment

• My income taxes (lower middle class) in Sweden were possibly lower than my income taxes (lower middle class) in the US.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                                My income taxes (lower middle class) in Sweden were possibly lower than my income taxes (lower middle class) in the US.

JM
                                I guarantee you your overall tax incidence was higher in Sweden if you were making the same amount in both countries.

Comment

Working...
                                X