No announcement yet.

Privately owned guns save more lives than they take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partisan organizations, such as the one linked to in the OP, often lie. I'd be hugely surprised if the number of killings was in reality surpassed by the number of people defending themselves. I'd be willing to bet just accidental killings were larger than the defensive shootings much less the murders.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The Barney Fife syndrome. Highly possible.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Or maybe you just agree with halflotus's links claiming Bush did 9/11?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          When I say such things to people, though, or suggest that every time I was robbed, it was a hate crime since I believe my race played a role in my selection as a victim, people get disgusted by me. Whatever. I'm being real.
          I will go right out on a limb here by suggesting the possibility that robbers rob people to get money. Or at least, getting money is the dominant motive. There is the possibility that a robber might imagine a white person to be more likely to have a few dollars in his pocket (which may be some sort of racial stereotyping on the part of the robber).

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            It's bad no matter what. Profiling, as bad as it is, exists for a reason. No, it's not because cops are comprised of solely bigoted Whites.
            When will most white people be pulled over for meth.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
              When will most white people be pulled over for meth.
              I don't know. What are the stats on meth possession?

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              Or maybe you just agree with halflotus's links claiming Bush did 9/11?
              That is so stupid that I don't even want to really give more than a passing nod of recognition that he said something.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

That is so stupid that I don't even want to really give more than a passing nod of recognition that he said something.
                I think we need a beer meetup. All of us.
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I'll be the one drinking Shiner. Good looking guy. Awe-inspiring even.

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                    I will go right out on a limb here by suggesting the possibility that robbers rob people to get money. Or at least, getting money is the dominant motive. There is the possibility that a robber might imagine a white person to be more likely to have a few dollars in his pocket (which may be some sort of racial stereotyping on the part of the robber).
                    All I know is I've been robbed 5 times and got away 2 other times. The muggers (they approached me in groups of no less than two) were, except for one instance, 20-something Black males wearing hoodies. The one exception was a group of a dozen Black teenagers who jumped me.

I actually live in a predominately Puerto Rican neighborhood but have never been bothered by those who look like me. It's walking through predominately Black areas that is problematic. None of my Black friends have been robbed as many times as me despite many of them having even more exposure to walking alone in ghettos at night than me. I'm not the largest guy but at 6'2", you would think they'd go after easier targets. Though for all I know, my height makes me more noticeable.

I had considered wearing a hood up to make determination of my race harder but that reduces my visibility too much.

Regardless, I'm certain there's a racial component to victim selection for mugging.

I will say, though, my first time getting mugged, the muggers wanted weed and kept punching me in the face instead of taking my wallet and cd player which I begged them to take. They must have thought I was a dealer. They then jumped in a car and drove off.
                    Last edited by Al B. Sure!; April 10, 2012, 01:04.
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Which is odd to me. Stateside, I've been in Watts. Alone at night in D.C. and Oakland.Visited the rougher parts of both Dallas and Ft. Worth. I've never been bothered.

Comment

Which is odd to me. Stateside, I've been in Watts. Alone at night in D.C. and Oakland.Visited the rougher parts of both Dallas and Ft. Worth. I've never been bothered.
                        Have you been to Philadelphia?

Exactly.
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Al, contrary to your beliefs and experiences, Philly scares me none. I'm not saying that in a confrontational way, nor am I "disparaging" the toughness of your town.
                          I'm only stating a fact.

Comment

Al, contrary to your beliefs and experiences, Philly scares me none. I'm not saying that in a confrontational way, nor am I "disparaging" the toughness of your town.
                            I'm only stating a fact.
                            That's odd. I'm scared to death of Philly at night. When I would get off work at 2am, I would take a bus several miles out of my way to the much safer Independence Hall then wait for a bus that ran only once an hour but would drop me off at my corner, adding literally hours to my commute home, just so I wouldn't have to walk 7 blocks through the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              That's odd. I'm scared to death of Philly at night. When I would get off work at 2am, I would take a bus several miles out of my way to the much safer Independence Hall then wait for a bus that ran only once an hour but would drop me off at my corner, adding literally hours to my commute home, just so I wouldn't have to walk 7 blocks through the hood.
                              They can smell the virgin *****...

Comment

* Orlando, FL. In 1966-67, the media highly publicized a safety course which taught Orlando women how to use guns. The result: Orlando's rape rate dropped 88% in 1967, whereas the rape rate remained constant in the rest of Florida and the nation.19

Proof- advertising stops rapes.
                                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                                X