Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it okay to call someone a bigot or accuse them of hating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not even about religion, really. If I believe A, B, and C, while you believe A, B, and not-C, at least one of us has to be at least partially wrong. The only case where this isn't true is if A, B, and C are all opinions along the lines of "chocolate ice cream is better than vanilla."
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
      Jews for Jesus already exists.

I should not be surprised.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
        Why do you talk about others being bigots all the time you hypocrite?
        It's not that I hate Jews - it's just that it's a matter of "faith" for me.

Comment

Another question in regard to religious values and bigotry.

Why do we allow atheists to get married in the United States, when the religious right insists that marriage is a religious institution (just ignore marriage administered by justices of peace)?

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            Wha? He said nothing about moral inferiority one way or another. He just said they have an inferior understanding, which is pretty much necessary. If he thought Judaism was exactly as valid as his form of Christianity, that would leave him either believing two contradictory things or believing nothing at all. If there is a truth to be known, it stands to reason that some would be closer to it than others. Barring certain odd situations like each getting an equal number of aspects of the truth right, or some such. But the general idea of religion is knowing The Truth--not something that might be The Truth but then again so could Judaism so what the hey, but the actual Truth.

Supposing for the sake of argument that what Imran has is The Truth, then what Jews have is necessarily not The Truth insofar as it differs from what Imran has. If what Imran has is not The Truth, then he should get cracking and find what The Truth really is.
            Seriously, if you're not going to even address my point, why respond to me?
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              Really I don't understand people who think that Christians/Muslims/Jews/Humanists/etc should consider everyone else's beliefs has equally valid.

It is completely nonsense.

Well said Elok.

JM
              OK, now I think you all may be thick.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                It's not that I hate Jews - it's just that it's a matter of "faith" for me.
                Hypocricy isn't faith. It's doublemindedness. And no one thinks you hate Jews.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                  OK, now I think you all may be thick.
                  Why don't you try explaining how they are equal? Do you even know anything about those religions to say that they are equal?

Comment

Because that is not at all what I have been stating.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Seriously, if you're not going to even address my point, why respond to me?
                      What was your point? You appear to be claiming that we ought to accept all religious beliefs as equally valid or true in some sense; this, as I said, would make all theology utterly meaningless. It's not a matter of tolerance or bigotry, but of basic logic. If Christians are no more correct than Jews, why would anybody want to be a Christian? Is it just the fondness for pork?
                      1011 1100

Comment

Then you are a bigot?

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                          What was your point? You appear to be claiming that we ought to accept all religious beliefs as equally valid or true in some sense; this, as I said, would make all theology utterly meaningless. It's not a matter of tolerance or bigotry, but of basic logic. If Christians are no more correct than Jews, why would anybody want to be a Christian? Is it just the fondness for pork?
                          Where did I claim that we ought to accept all religious beliefs? Seriously, look for it, get on the same page, and then come back, because all I'm seeing from you is a bunch of unsubstantiated assumptions of what you think I am talking about. Maybe if you weren't so full of yourself, you'd be able to have a normal conversation with someone.
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Honestly, I haven't been reading your posts.

I just thought Elok did a good job of explaining something which often needs explaining.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Imran said Jews have a lesser understanding of God than Christians. This should not be shocking, given:

A. Imran believes religion is a matter of factual truth
                              B. Imran is a Christian
                              C. Christians and Jews believe different things

From A and B, we can conclude D that Imran thinks Christianity is correct, or at least comes nearest to the truth. From C and D we can conclude (from his POV) that Christianity has a better understanding of the truth than Judaism. There should be nothing controversial or offensive about this, and I should expect any Jew to hold a similar position regarding Christianity.
                              1011 1100

Comment

What did I just say about being too full of yourself?
                                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                                X