Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it okay to call someone a bigot or accuse them of hating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See? You even have Kid on your side.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      See? You even have Kid on your side.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
        I assumed he was saying that if you follow one religion over another or one branch of a religion over another, then you presumably believe the one you chose is the one that most accurately describes the proper relationship to god. If thats the case, then you're assuming a position of moral superiority over someone who follows another religion.

Doesn't mean a person is necessarily being a douche about it, but its kind of implied that they must believe their lot are the more morally correct or else why wouldn't they follow a different branch of the church or different religion.
        Not necessarily moral superiority, no. Consider the Mormons. Their commandments, at present, are almost identical to ours, just with some additional minor stuff I think is morally neutral (no coffee, the underwear thing). They also have some unusual beliefs about the afterlife and...call it "church history." Neither of which has any real bearing on morality, at least now that they've gotten rid of the bigamy and prohibitions on black people. I think their beliefs are odd and incorrect, but I don't look down on them as people.

Or, just look at myself, Imran and JM. We're from three different subsets of Christianity, and both of them have beliefs I consider incorrect, such as a stronger human role in bringing about Christ's kingdom, or annihilationism. Both wrong to me. But I don't think I'm better than them. We disagree about something important; that doesn't make them bad people. Hell, my wife's aunt and uncle are Evangelical Presbyterians. I'm pretty sure they technically still believe in predestination, which I find downright repellent. They're also extremely kind, generous and friendly people. They may have the facts wrong, but if anything they're my moral superiors.

Which is not to say people can't/don't often look down on members of other religions, but there's no reason why this has to be the case. Imran thinks the Jews are wrong about God, obviously. That doesn't mean he thinks they're worse people than him. Belief and practice are two separate, though ideally related, things.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• I for one and a sinner, but I can't speak for anyone else.

Comment

• I'm not a sinner. I'm pretty much perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
              I'm not a sinner. I'm pretty much perfect.
              And what does that mean, perfect?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                And what does that mean, perfect?
                Never do anything morally wrong, of course

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                  Never do anything morally wrong, of course
                  How do you know what is morally right or wrong?

Comment

• I'm perfect, that's how

Comment

• Do perfect people use circular logic?

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        Not necessarily moral superiority, no. Consider the Mormons. Their commandments, at present, are almost identical to ours, just with some additional minor stuff I think is morally neutral (no coffee, the underwear thing). They also have some unusual beliefs about the afterlife and...call it "church history." Neither of which has any real bearing on morality, at least now that they've gotten rid of the bigamy and prohibitions on black people. I think their beliefs are odd and incorrect, but I don't look down on them as people.

Or, just look at myself, Imran and JM. We're from three different subsets of Christianity, and both of them have beliefs I consider incorrect, such as a stronger human role in bringing about Christ's kingdom, or annihilationism. Both wrong to me. But I don't think I'm better than them. We disagree about something important; that doesn't make them bad people. Hell, my wife's aunt and uncle are Evangelical Presbyterians. I'm pretty sure they technically still believe in predestination, which I find downright repellent. They're also extremely kind, generous and friendly people. They may have the facts wrong, but if anything they're my moral superiors.

Which is not to say people can't/don't often look down on members of other religions, but there's no reason why this has to be the case. Imran thinks the Jews are wrong about God, obviously. That doesn't mean he thinks they're worse people than him. Belief and practice are two separate, though ideally related, things.
                        The issue comes because your god is your moral center. Your religion tells you how to behave in the ways that best please your god. Other religions must have inferior moral codes in your beliefs or you should switch, by reasoning. Imran's very words, "not very complete understanding" demonstrates the inadequacy and inferiority of their moral code (though may allow it to rank higher than other religions, in his view) compared to his.

I'll agree that as individuals we all have our failings. Some do better than others. However, as a christian, you have agreed to follow a certain moral code. That code must be believed to be superior than others and must be the requirement that you use to judge the behavior of others. Thus, people of other religions, no matter how perfect they are, can never reach the same level of morality that is possible for someone of your own religion. Now going back to the level of religion itself, other religions must appear morally inferior. To believe otherwise would be blasphemous.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Do perfect people use circular logic?
                          Yes. That's why god created the holy trinity. Or maybe you prefer triangular logic?
                          Last edited by DaShi; February 20, 2012, 22:37.
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Do perfect people use circular logic?
                            Perfect people don't need logic. If they didn't already know the truth they wouldn't be perfect

Comment

• If Jesus died for your sins, you should sin as much as possible or His death is meaningless. That is why so many Americans are capitalists.
                              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                                If Jesus died for your sins, you should sin as much as possible or His death is meaningless. That is why so many Americans are capitalists.
                                No. There's nothing good about sin. Sin is bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X