Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it okay to call someone a bigot or accuse them of hating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is it okay to call someone a bigot or accuse them of hating?

In another thread, I got involved in a discussion about whether or not it's possible to be opposed to gay marriage and not be homophobic. I wanted to create a thread to broaden the discussion to talk about bigotry and hatred in general, and about the difference between having a legitimate opinion from that of hatred or bigotry.

I have also sometimes heard that people oppose gay marriage not because they are homophobic, but because it's a matter of faith for them. So applying that logic, is it possible for Christians to view Jews as being morally inferior because Jews do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ? That this does not make those Christians anti-Semitic, because this is not a matter of hatred - it's a matter of faith?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

I've always seen Jews as believing the same God, but not having as complete understanding of God as those who are Christian. Not sure if you'd consider that "morally inferior". FWIW, I see Muslims in the same light.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Some Christians are so closed-minded, that they really do believe that if you do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, but claim to believe in God, that you'd still be morally inferior and thus condemned.

Comment

The Catholics has softened their public stance in recent years, but I'm pretty sure they still believe the rest of us are doomed to eternal damnation. They just know it's bad PR to talk about it.

"Don't ask, no hell."
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I believe that Catholics believe that Protestants are "faith communities". They go to purgatory, but eventually reach heaven. & the Orthodox Church is back in full communion.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Why not set up a therapy group that encourages Jews to come, and to pray their Jewishness away?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
              I've always seen Jews as believing the same God, but not having as complete understanding of God as those who are Christian. Not sure if you'd consider that "morally inferior". FWIW, I see Muslims in the same light.
              Same.

And I think we would both agree that Christians don't have a complete understanding of God either.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                Some Christians are so closed-minded, that they really do believe that if you do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, but claim to believe in God, that you'd still be morally inferior and thus condemned.
                Everyone is condemned.

The issue is accepting Christ's righteousness.

Some Christian universalists would say that you receive it even if you don't accept it, that you don't have a choice.

I do think the apostiles had it 'right', and so am not a universalist. Accepting the gift is something we can choose to do or not to do (through Christ).

Other Christians, and I think this is the traditional view, ask how one can accept it if they don't know about it... and so only Christians have received it.

Myself and others like me read Hebrews, and think that God provides (at least once) for the opportunity to believe in Him/have faith in Him. Whether it is as a Christian in a revival in America or as a prostitute helping God's people who never heard of Christ. And I don't think that a Christian yelling at you on the street corner is necessarily the opportunity.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Everyone but Christians are going to hell -Real Christians
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

All three views, or similar views, have been around since ~200 AD.

All three have Christian denominations/etc who support them now.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

It would definitely be anti-Semitic if someone were trying to keep Jews from getting married.

Comment

You will find plenty of Jews saying that Jews should not marry non-jews.

Are they anti-Semitic?

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                          You will find plenty of Jews saying that Jews should not marry non-jews.

Are they anti-Semitic?
                          It sounds more like they're anti-Gentilic or whatever the word for that would be. But whatever it is, it's definitely a form of bigotry to try to deny "belief mixing". People need to understand that consensual adults stuff isn't their business...

Comment

Then why are you getting into their business?

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                              Then why are you getting into their business?
                              You really are horrible at drawing analogies.

a) being denied the right to marry is not consensual on the part of those wanting to marry
                              b) I am not trying to deny people the right to be bigots if they choose to be so, only pointing out that they're bigots when they do choose to be so

Comment

Working...
                              X