Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is it okay to call someone a bigot or accuse them of hating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
    In another thread, I got involved in a discussion about whether or not it's possible to be opposed to gay marriage and not be homophobic. I wanted to create a thread to broaden the discussion to talk about bigotry and hatred in general, and about the difference between having a legitimate opinion from that of hatred or bigotry.

I have also sometimes heard that people oppose gay marriage not because they are homophobic, but because it's a matter of faith for them. So applying that logic, is it possible for Christians to view Jews as being morally inferior because Jews do not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ? That this does not make those Christians anti-Semitic, because this is not a matter of hatred - it's a matter of faith?
    Opposing gay marriage is bigoted, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
      I'm going Mormon - posthumously.

They can baptize me once I'm dead and I'll look into the making amends with god at that time.

Good plan. Obviously a benevolent deity would give you another chance after you die. Otherwise infants that die would be screwed.

Comment

I'm going Mormon - posthumously.

They can baptize me once I'm dead and I'll look into the making amends with god at that time.
        How much do you know about Mormonism? As I understand, your afterlife depends on your works in this life. Their god used to be a man and became a god by doing good works. If your works are bad what does that mean for you in the afterlife?
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          Good plan. Obviously a benevolent deity would give you another chance after you die. Otherwise infants that die would be screwed.

Simon Wiesenthal's dead ancestors were recently baptized Mormon. They'll get to everyone eventually.

The Mormon Church apologises for the posthumous baptism of the long-dead parents of Holocaust survivor and Nazi-hunter activist Simon Wiesenthal.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
            How much do you know about Mormonism? As I understand, your afterlife depends on your works in this life. Their god used to be a man and became a god by doing good works. If your works are bad what does that mean for you in the afterlife?
            I learned all I need to know from "Ask a Mormon" at WPC.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I learned all I need to know from "Ask a Mormon" at WPC.
              Suposidly they forgot to tell you that you will be tormented by guilt associated with being seperated from your penis (physical body).

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Mormo...Salvation.html

Comment

Regardless of religion I anticipate being separated from my physical body when I die (or I sincerely hope so).

Comment

Apparently I might not be able to bask in god's presence (I might get one of the more distant planetary destinations) but that's okay as I suspect I would be somewhat uncomfortable in his presence anyway.

Comment

Regardless of religion I anticipate being separated from my physical body when I die (or I sincerely hope so).
                    I find it hard to believe that you won't miss your penis. Anyway you are suppose to miss it where you are going. You aren't a very good Mormon. Not at all.

Comment

Where did I claim to be a good mormon? I'm just looking for dogmatic loopholes.

Comment

Where did I claim to be a good mormon? I'm just looking for dogmatic loopholes.
                        I think you picked a good religion then.

Comment

I'm not a mormon yet. I need to die first and I'm in no hurry for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            I think you picked a good religion then.

btw, that's the ****tiest sales pitch I've heard in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                              Why not set up a therapy group that encourages Jews to come, and to pray their Jewishness away?
                              Jews for Jesus already exists.

Comment

btw, that's the ****tiest sales pitch I've heard in awhile.
                                A mormon WOULD say that.

Comment

Working...
                                X