• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I need to rethink my list

INTERESTED? HELL YES!
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Ooh. Ming has been rejuvenated. Hope springs forth.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Zig Ziglar
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• I should be one rank higher and Ozzy lower over the Abu Yahya al-Libi incident. I also suggest opening an investigation on Coldwizard.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I'd advocate investigating anything Cold Wizard is involved in. He's a bad egg.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              I'd advocate investigating anything Cold Wizard is involved in. He's a bad egg.

Pot, meet kettle

(sorry, couldn't resist. Not that I tried that hard.)
              If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                It's getting close to that time again. If there is to be a 2013 edition of the Dead Pool prep work will need to be done and a signup posted within a couple weeks...

Is there still enough interest to carry this abomination forward another year?
                Absolutely! I'm in.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  I'd advocate investigating anything Cold Wizard is involved in. He's a bad egg.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	ice-king.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	9094277

Indeed.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.â€
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Jazz pianist Dave Brubeck dead at 91. Brubeck died Wednesday morning of heart failure after being stricken while on his way to a cardiology appointment with his son Darius, said his manager Russell Gloyd. Brubeck would have turned 92 on Thursday.

Comment

• RIP to one of the great jazz pianists and bandleaders...

That's Paul Desmond on alto sax btw.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Astronomer, broadcaster and author Sir Patrick Moore has died at his home at the age of 89.

British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died, aged 89, his friends and colleagues have said.

He "passed away peacefully at 12:25 this afternoon" at his home in Selsey, West Sussex, they said in a statement.

Sir Patrick presented the BBC programme The Sky At Night for over 50 years, making him the longest-running host of the same television show ever.

He wrote dozens of books on astronomy and his research was used by the US and the Russians in their space programmes.

Described by one of his close friends as "fearlessly eccentric", Sir Patrick was notable for his habit of wearing a monocle on screen, his idiosyncratic style and his outspoken, and sometimes controversial, views.

Sir Patrick presented the first edition of The Sky at Night on 24th April 1957. He last appeared in an episode broadcast on Monday.

A statement by his friends and staff said: "After a short spell in hospital last week, it was determined that no further treatment would benefit him, and it was his wish to spend his last days in his own home, Farthings, where he today passed on, in the company of close friends and carers and his cat Ptolemy.

"Over the past few years, Patrick, an inspiration to generations of astronomers, fought his way back from many serious spells of illness and continued to work and write at a great rate, but this time his body was too weak to overcome the infection which set in, a few weeks ago.

"He was able to perform on his world record-holding TV programme The Sky at Night right up until the most recent episode .

"His executors and close friends plan to fulfil his wishes for a quiet ceremony of interment, but a farewell event is planned for what would have been Patrick's 90th birthday in March 2013."

'Father figure'
                        Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore was born at Pinner, Middlesex on 4 Mar 1923.

Heart problems meant he spent much of his childhood being educated at home and he became an avid reader. His mother gave him a copy of GF Chambers' book, The Story of the Solar System, and this sparked his lifelong passion for astronomy.

When war came he turned down a place at Cambridge and lied about his age to join the RAF, serving as a navigator with Bomber Command and rising to the rank of Flight Lieutenant.

But the war brought him a personal tragedy after his fiancee, Lorna, was killed when an ambulance she was driving was hit by a bomb. He never married.

Sir Patrick, who had a pacemaker fitted in 2006 and received a knighthood in 2001, won a Bafta for services to television and was a honorary fellow of the Royal Society.

Queen guitarist Brian May, who published a book on astronomy written with Sir Patrick, described him as a "dear friend, and a kind of father figure to me".

He said: "Patrick will be mourned by the many to whom he was a caring uncle, and by all who loved the delightful wit and clarity of his writings, or enjoyed his fearlessly eccentric persona in public life.

"Patrick is irreplaceable. There will never be another Patrick Moore. But we were lucky enough to get one."

'Charming and hospitable'
                        British space scientist Maggie Aderin-Pocock said she was first inspired to "look at the night sky" through Sir Patrick.

"Through his regular monthly programmes he was telling us what to look for and what was out there and that was a real inspiration.

"Why [The Sky At Night] was so successful is because of his passion. He branched an amazing era, he was broadcasting before we actually went into space and so he saw a change in our understanding of the universe and he took us all the way through that, right up to today."

Television presenter and physicist Professor Brian Cox posted a message on Twitter saying: "Very sad news about Sir Patrick. Helped inspire my love of astronomy. I will miss him!"

Space scientist Dr David Whitehouse said Sir Patrick was "the monthly source of information for youngsters interested in astronomy".

"We relied on Patrick to tell us about the moon landings, the probe to the planets, the developments in astronomy, before the internet age."

And Dr Marek Kakula, public astronomer at Royal Observatory in Greenwich, described him as a "very charming and hospitable man".

"When you came to his home he would always make sure you had enough to eat and drink. He was full of really entertaining and amusing stories.

"There are many many professional astronomers like me who can actually date their interest in astronomy to watching Patrick on TV, so his impact on the world of professional astronomy as well as amateur is hard to overstate."
                        Picked for me and Wezil (you bastard I needed the extra 25 points there).
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• That really is the end of an era. Presenting the same regularly-scheduled TV show from 1957 to 2012 takes some beating.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• RIO DE JANEIRO, Dec 5(Reuters) - Oscar Niemeyer, a towering
                            patriarch of modern architecture who designed the main buildings of Brazil's futuristic capital Brasilia and left a worldwide
                            legacy of design, died on Wednesday, aged 104, according to
                            Brazil's Globo television.

Niemeyer left his stylistic imprint around the
                            world with distinctive and often curvy space-age style. His
                            glass and white-concrete buildings include the United Nations
                            Secretariat in New York, the Communist Party headquarters in
                            Paris and Brasilia's Roman Catholic Cathedral.

Niemeyer was 104 (missed his 105th by 10 days) and a choice of 3 players:

OzzyKP (2) = (171 - 2) + (100 - 104) = 165 points
                            Robert Plomp (6) = 161 points
                            MRT144 (8) = 159 points

A new record for oldest celeb death. Congrats I guess...

This would probably be a good time to ask the players to check the more obscure celebs on their list to see if they are indeed still breathing. Points can only be claimed in the year they die so let's make sure we aren't missing anyone.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Sir Patrick Moore was 89 and a pick of two players:

Krill (14) = (171 - 14) + (100 -89) = 168 points

Wezil (14) = 166 points
                              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• My unique pick "Dom Mintoff" apparently already left the building on August 20th this year!
                                I hereby officially delayed mourn his death. How many points did I win?

edit:
                                171-9 = 162
                                100-96 = 4
                                unique pick: 25
                                ---------------
                                191 points

Seems like Nelson Mandela is also in a bad shape at the moment.
                                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                                X