• Show
Clear All

• 201211:35 AM ET

Harry Carey Jr., character actor in classic Hollywood Westerns, dies

by Kyle Anderson

Tags: Harry Carey Jr., John Ford, John Wayne, Legacy, movies, Obit, Movies
    Comments 30
    Add comment

Harry Carey Jr., a character actor who made a name for himself as part of director John Ford’s classics The Searchers and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, passed away on Thursday of natural causes at a hospice center in Santa Barbara, Calif. He was 91 years old.

Born in 1921 to silent film stars Harry Carey Sr. (who spent the bulk of his career in Westerns as well) and Olive Carey, Harry Jr.’s career spanned five decades. Though he rarely took top billing in any of his pictures, his military background (he served in the Navy during World War II) and his horse-riding ability made him an ideal sidekick to friend and frequent co-star John Wayne. The pair appeared in over 10 films together, often with Ford at the helm.

Carey also appeared in films with his parents: One with his father (1948′s Red River) and two with his mother (1956′s The Searchers and 1961′s Two Rode Together).

Younger audiences will likely recognize Carey from his roles as Mr. Anderson in Gremlins, one of the saloon regulars in Back to the Future Part III, and as Marshal Fred White in Tombstone. Overall, Carey appeared in over 100 films and 100 TV episodes (including stops on Gunsmoke and Little House on the Prarie).
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• Subject to any claims made before the 7th of January, I'll close this competition.

I'd like to thank you all for playing and welcome you to our final awards gala here at the Dead Pool. I hope you all have your black ties ready...

The Can't Cheat Death Award (25 points) goes to MRT144 for his ability to appreciate Jack Klugman's procrastinating ways in waiting until the bitter end of 2012 to perform his role in our morbid little contest. Nice try Jack. Take a bow MRT144.

Next up - The ever popular and highly lucrative Killing Spree Award (50 points). Five players got in on the carnage this year with short sprees of two each. Taking home the award is Guynemer, ColdWizard, DaShi, OFITG, and Wezil. Take a collective bow gentlemen and keep up the good work in 2013.

Finally, The Empty Casket Award (50 points). A consolation prize for our competitors that didn't fare so well this year in appreciation of their contribution and honest efforts in the Pool. The only losers are the celebs so hold your heads high guys and hope for a better season next year.

After all the awards are tallied (and preumably no flurry of late claims upset the standings) we have a new champion here at the Poly Dead Pool. Taking the title on his 3rd attempt with a staggering 7 hits and 1459 points, I present ColdWizard and Team Sodalicium Immortalis, the 2012 Grim Reaper.

Well done sir.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Is this not my second attempt? I think I missed a year.
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Congrats, ColdWizard.

You mother****er.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I hereby pass the Black Scythe to our 2012 Grim Reaper: ColdWizard.
            Congrats, CW! You had an awesome year.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
              Is this not my second attempt? I think I missed a year.
              You are correct. 2010 & 2012.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• ****. i wanted to participate this year, but laziness.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• There are provisions for late submissions. You have until the 7th.

Comment

• Congrat's Coldwizard on a hard fought victory. Of course, I didn't provide any serious competition, but there's always next year.
                    If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

• Congratulations, ColdWizard! And thanks to Wezil!
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Congratulations, ColdWizard. He could tell you where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. Would you congratulate him then? It's a fix!
                        He's part of the underworld and he ... arranges things. He's a demon spawn. He's a Hell hound. He's a bad egg.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• edit - wrong thread -

Comment

• dick clark
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Dick Clark died last April.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• So I win?
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X