No announcement yet.

So Republicans..Whose your guy/gal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured if I didn't put a banana option in there then the Democrats would all muck up the poll.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Pax View Post
      Back to the Republicans. What makes Newt better than Romney. Romney seems to be the smartest one in the bunch to me.
      I agree with the others that Gingrich is the smartest of the bunch and has the best, and most well considered, policies (I like the janitor thing too!). Despite his policies though (some of them I think even Democrats would be ok with) he has such a mean, combative style that would just lead to more partisanship, more gridlock, and more disaster in Congress imho. And he has been seriously pandering to the right on social issues and foreign policy, and that concerns me.

I'll be voting for Ron Paul. Will he win? Probably not. But it'll be a hell of a ride either way.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Huntsman is the only one who's rhetoric impresses me, though he hasn't distinguished himself in the debates. Romney doesn't seem like a complete disaster as a candidate, but he rubs me the wrong way whenever he opens his mouth. I think he might make a George HW Bush-type President, competent but uninspiring. Ron Paul at least comes off as sincere, but in practice his Randian philosophy will only exacerbate our problems.

The rest of the candidates look like ultra-partisan basket-cases, who would put party ahead of country, until what is decent and respectable about the United States is completely annihilated.

Comment

he has such a mean, combative style that would just lead to more partisanship, more gridlock, and more disaster in Congress imho.
          Sounds exactly like what a second term for Obama will be.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Pax View Post
            Back to the Republicans. What makes Newt better than Romney. Romney seems to be the smartest one in the bunch to me.
            No spine. Ideas shift with the wind.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Disclaimer - I don't know enough about these candidates mentioned to judge:

Gary Johnson
              Fred Karger
              Andy Martin
              Jimmy McMillan
              Tom Miller
              Buddy Roemer
              Matt Snyder
              Vern Wuensche

Gary Johnson's bio seems promising. Otherwise nothing jumps out at me in the material posted in the OP.

Comment

and despite all the comments that his religion shouldn't matter, it will.
                But mainly because he does shift with the wind. I was reading an editorial in a right leaning paper and they spent two full pages explaining how some of his shifts were based on experience instead of popularity. They really had to stretch most of it. It was pretty hilarious.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Plus Gary Johnston is the protagonist in Team America: World Police.

Comment

I doubt his religion will matter versus a three-times married recent Catholic convert.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                      Sounds exactly like what a second term for Obama will be.
                      At least Obama will try to work with the other side. Newt wouldn't at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                        No spine. Ideas shift with the wind.
                        Means he might actually accomplish something, get along with congress, maybe even compromise. Sounds good to me. We don't need yet another president with a bold, inspiring vision for the future. Those tend to cost money, and the last eleven years have been bad enough, thank you.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Ozzy: How can we know that? I suspect that he would understand that he can't be House Speaker Newt and President Newt at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Means he might actually accomplish something, get along with congress, maybe even compromise. Sounds good to me. We don't need yet another president with a bold, inspiring vision for the future. Those tend to cost money, and the last eleven years have been bad enough, thank you.
                            Let's get this straight. You think Bush and Obama had/have a bold, inspiring vision for the future?

In any event, do you think he doesn't shift with the wind?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                              Let's get this straight. You think Bush and Obama had/have a bold, inspiring vision for the future?
                              To me? No, but they were apparently inspiring to somebody. Bush had a strong commitment to shooting the Arab world full of hot lead and/or democracy. Obama ran as the second coming of Jesus, then spent a lot of time ramming through healthcare reform that wound up defanged. Both expensive. To be fair, Obama's main problem is that the entire Republican party is out to bring him down at all costs. The vision he ran on seems to have evaporated.

In any event, do you think he doesn't shift with the wind?
                              Don't care if he shifts with the wind, that's a refreshing change of pace. No pet projects, nothing he won't budge on, nobody really hates him. He's too bland to be polarizing, or to establish a pseudo-imperialistic cult of personality. I'm reasonably sure he won't tolerate massive corruption in his administration, and that's really the only other item of concern.

"Romney 2012: He'll Sit There And Probably Not **** Things Up Any Worse"
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I think the problem is very big and don't think a go-along-get-along kind of politician will give us what we need.

Comment

Working...
                                X