Could you be friends with a sociopath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
    Who says that all Christians, for one, believe in being "doomed" for all eternity?

Especially the Orthodox Church, as an example.
    I don't find this to be very informative. I thought Christianity involved God offering everyone the option of salvation, so I'm asking if this applies to psychopaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojotronica View Post
      Do you think it would always end badly?
      If they have good table manners and like pets, no.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        Who says that all Christians, for one, believe in being "doomed" for all eternity?

Especially the Orthodox Church, as an example.
        There's disagreement on the matter, you realize. The hardest anyone pushes on it is that we are allowed to hope for universal reconciliation. Part of our "if you haven't been told so explicitly, don't speculate" policy.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          I don't find this to be very informative. I thought Christianity involved God offering everyone the option of salvation, so I'm asking if this applies to psychopaths.
          I don't understand your point, if you have one. Maybe you just think differently.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I'm best friends with a sociopath

Ok, this has kind of delved into a religious debate here. To answer the original question, I happen to be very good friends with a sociopath. However, what you and I must keep in mind is the 'very good friends' is on the non-sociopathic side only. They can make good friends. But it is a farce. They feel nothing for you. Just yesterday she told me she was a sociopath and let me question her all I like. She is very blunt, and from what she says, a true sociopath feels no emotions at all. They're fanTASTIC liars, and pathological liars at that. They will lie about just about anything, just because they can. They will manipulate you to get what they want.

They do not care about you. At all. They can't. As she explained to me, all the people she interacts with serve a purpose. I, and her other friends, are 'mental stimulation'. Or to keep up a 'front of normalcy'. Her parents are 'money'. Sociopaths are perpetually bored. They are constantly searching for something to relieve that boredom. Which is what 'friends' are to them. They will have no empathy, no sympathy, no guilt. So, don't rant to them and expect them to understand. Don't come crying if someone died. They don't care. They may pretend, depending on how 'close' you are, but they won't care. So, don't bother.

That said, they make utterly SCINTILLATING conversation. Most sociopaths have very high IQs, and are highly intelligent. She 'mentally stimulates' me as well. And so, I keep her as a friend. I enjoy talking to her. But I'm very wary around her. She's hurt me plenty, and she doesn't care. Every time I talk to her there's this niggling feeling in the back of my head telling me there's something WRONG, there's something OFF about her. They're very good actors, but they're not perfect. It may just be me, but you can tell. She's just... off.

If you want to befriend a sociopath, go ahead! They're people too. But they lack the humanity that makes a person human, in my opinion. As one of the religious people above said (and I am not religious), they seem to lack a soul. And you can sense it just by being around them. In other words, be careful. My friend broke her sister's arm for stealing her phone. They're dangerous. They're not all bad, but they are dangerous. They lack a conscience. And it's terrifying.

Comment

I'm not sure what to make of the previous post. There's no links. It doesn't sound like a bot. It's like someone came to this forum and thought it was for discussing the topic of the thread, or that there might be people here without experience with sociopaths ... on a forum full of them? (I am my own best friend, so take that!)

Comment

I assume it's a fresh DL. Actually one of the more interesting posts I've seen here in awhile.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I figured it was somebody who ran a search for "sociopath friends" or something, then signed up and posted without checking the date on the thread. Still, she put more effort into her post than most of us do, so kudos to her.
                  1011 1100

Comment

I p
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                      I p
                      Internet protocol. Couldn't hang out on Poly without it--well said!
                      1011 1100

Comment

I am a sociopath and I like myself, so shutup.
                        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Au contraire, the Catholic Martyrology is full of Saints who would currently be diagnosed as sociopaths.
                          Yes, that Jesus fellow was quite the sociopath - demanding that he was the only way to salvation and that unless you ate his flesh you could not have eternal salvation. It all makes sense now.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Jesus was not a saint. Unless you are referring to Jesús Malverde, the 'Narco-Saint'. He is not recognized as a saint by the Roman Catholic Church, but he was fairly sociopathic.
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

we got a arco saint now? Good old Rome keeps all the bases covered
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                                I'm not sure what to make of the previous post. There's no links. It doesn't sound like a bot. It's like someone came to this forum and thought it was for discussing the topic of the thread, or that there might be people here without experience with sociopaths ... on a forum full of them? (I am my own best friend, so take that!)
                                Awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X