No announcement yet.

Could you be friends with a sociopath?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you be friends with a sociopath?

Do you think it would always end badly? Not that every sociopath is violent, some are just completely unempathetic. Is the empathy missing from a sociopath necessary to maintain a friendship with one?

What's your experience with sociopaths? (Parents, roommates, girlfriends, co-workers etc...) Have any of these relationships worked out?*

*(With the caveat that maybe if it works out, you can't tell they are a sociopath.)

My exwife definitely has something like that wrong with her. No. After you know there is something wrong with them it's over.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Personally, I think the sociopath term gets thrown around too much and is often used with just partial knowledge (both of the term and of the person in question).
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Actually psychologists hate to diagnose sociopaths or others who are untreatable.

Comment

Sociopaths can be cited as proof that there is no God.

Comment

How's that?

Comment

If you equate lack of empathy with lack of a soul, I am guessing.

Comment

Why would God create someone who can't feel guilt or remorse for their actions? Can someone be saved without repenting for their sins or did God decide to create a class of people who are doomed and can't obtain salvation?

Comment

The fact that you don't know something doesn't prove God doesn't exist.

Comment

So do you think some sociopaths go to heaven or do you think that God created some people who don't have the option of being saved?

Comment

I don't know.

Comment

I have quite a few friends, actually.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The fact that I occasionally post here implies the said condition is not a issue for online interactions.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                            So do you think some sociopaths go to heaven or do you think that God created some people who don't have the option of being saved?
                            Au contraire, the Catholic Martyrology is full of Saints who would currently be diagnosed as sociopaths.
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                              Why would God create someone who can't feel guilt or remorse for their actions? Can someone be saved without repenting for their sins or did God decide to create a class of people who are doomed and can't obtain salvation?
                              Who says that all Christians, for one, believe in being "doomed" for all eternity?

Especially the Orthodox Church, as an example.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X