Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How famous are Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asher, I know several very devout Christians. They're generally only blind with respect to their religion, and totally clear-thinking and normal with respect to everything else. It really isn't that creepy.

I think it's you who needs to get used to the fact that not everyone sees the world the way you do, even if the way they see it is wrong.

Almost everyone has some doctrine they follow blindly, or some opinion they just hold on faith. His happens to be christianity. I'd point out yours, but part of being blindly attached to a doctrine is being blind to the fact that you are attached to it at all, so it would be pointless.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
      Do you know anything about the guy?

He isn't some ho-hum run-of-the-mill Christian. He's a cultlike extremist with absurd practices. He's also actively trying, at all times, to shove his religion down everyone else's throat.

As I said, he's famous because the rest of the world recognizes how creepy it is. If Americans don't find it creepy, then that just further serves my point.
      Praying outside of church makes someone a religious extremist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        Asher, I know several very devout Christians. They're generally only blind with respect to their religion
        ...which impacts almost many other aspects of their life. See: stem-cell research.

, and totally clear-thinking and normal with respect to everything else. It really isn't that creepy.
        It really, truly is. In the same respect that fanatical Muslims are creepy, fanatical Christians are creepy. Anyone who allows themselves to be sandboxed in with rigid and, quite frankly, fundamentally absurd doctrine is a little off the mark of sane. Some people are farther away from the mark than others.

The issue Americans have here is devout Christianity is almost normal. So you don't see why others may see something differently.

I honestly don't see any difference in creepiness between fanatical Christians and Heaven's Gate members. If you do, it's because of mental biases.

I think it's you who needs to get used to the fact that not everyone sees the world the way you do, even if the way they see it is wrong.
        I very much understand not everyone sees the world the way I do. In fact, if you could comprehend my point in this thread the entire concept I'm conveying is Americans have a different view from everyone else. Which is precisely why Tebow is viewed as creepy outside of the USA and as normal within the USA.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          Praying outside of church makes someone a religious extremist?
          Praying before, during, and after a football game, with biblical verses under your eyes, while you star in TV ads proselytizing you faith makes your a religious extremist.

Or do you not consider this extreme at all?

Again, I'm telling you guys why Tebow is known internationally. Just because you can't comprehend why others view it as creepy doesn't mean they don't.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Praying before, during, and after a football game, with biblical verses under your eyes, while you star in TV ads proselytizing you faith makes your a religious extremist.

Or do you not consider this extreme at all?

Again, I'm telling you guys why Tebow is known internationally. Just because you can't comprehend why others view it as creepy doesn't mean they don't.
            No. Is it extreme when Christians put up billboards promoting Christianity? It's not like Tim Tebow is going to behead nonbelievers or something.

Comment

No. Is it extreme when Christians put up billboards promoting Christianity?
              I'm not playing this game with you anymore.

It's not any single thing he does, it's that every waking moment of his life is seemingly devoted to showing how Christian he is and trying to convert everyone else to be Christian. Again, he's a caricature of the American stereotype. An extreme god-fearing American football player who wants everyone else to be Christian like he is. And is self-important enough to devalue the whole concept of faith and God by praying to his God about a ****ing game, because God really cares that the Broncos win the weekly game.

If you don't consider him extreme in any way, this is just another condemnation of how out of touch with the rest of the world Americans tend to be.

Comment

• I doubt "the rest of the world" hates devoutly religious people unless "the rest of the world" is code for "Canada and Europe".

Comment

• “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I doubt "the rest of the world" hates devoutly religious people unless "the rest of the world" is code for "Canada and Europe".
                    And China.

So yeah, the rest of the modern world, I should say. The US has plenty of company in the third world nations, to be sure.

Comment

And China.

So yeah, the rest of the modern world, I should say. The US has plenty of company in the third world nations, to be sure.
                      Woohoo congratulations for having something in common with the PRC

Comment

• I read this editorial yesterday and it's pretty timely.
                        Why I hate Tim Tebow
                        Nov 18th, 2011
                        by Cyd Zeigler jr..

I hate Tim Tebow.

OK, hate is a strong word. Despise. Vehemently dislike. Whatever. I hate that guy. And I hate him more after his win over the New York Jets on Thursday. Let me be clear: I hate the Jets. Despise, dislike, whatever. I hate the Jets. I’m thrilled the Jets lost. I’m always thrilled when the Jets lose. Big, brash, lots of talking. I hate them. It wasn’t the outcome of the game that made him my most hated athlete in the world. It was what he did after the game.

First and foremost I gotta thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ.

No. Stop it. I hate him. And this is why so many other people hate him. And why they love him. Why he’s the most hated and most loved athlete in the country. Because he knows religion is a touchy subject in this country, he knows people have been hurt by religion, and he doesn’t care. He’s going to take his religion and ram it down your throat no matter what you or anyone else thinks of him.

He told Deion Sanders after the game that he can’t worry about what other people think because he can’t control it. Yes he can. He can shut up about his religion. There are many wonderful Christians and Muslims and Jews who practice their religion the way it was meant to be practiced: Privately. Religious beliefs are very personal and powerful. And there are many famous religious people who respect differences and keep their religious practices to themselves, their friends, their congregation and their family.

Not Tebow. Whenever he gets the chance he plasters it across the airwaves like a big flowery float with ear-splitting dance music in a Pride parade.

We hear people say they don’t have a problem with gays as long as they’re not flaunting it. Well guess what: I’m OK with Tim Tebow as long as he’s not flaunting his religion. But he can’t help it. He appears in national TV commercials to promote his religion. He makes a spectacle of prayer before, during and after the games. He thanks Jesus Christ after a win, as though a guy who died 2,000 years ago is magically deciding whether the Broncos or Jets win, or that god would take time out of his busy day (see: poverty, war, natural disasters) to even care.

I think generally Christians get a really bad rap from the gay community. Christianity is not bad. While I’m not Christian, I think it’s (when not bastardized like it is so often) a beautiful religion. But many gay people are totally close-minded when it comes to Christianity. You can understand why. After decades of persecution in the name of Jesus Christ, the gay community would collectively rather see Christianity sink into the deepest corners of our society. It’s not how I feel, but I can understand why so many who have suffered at the hands of Christians feel that way.

Christianity isn’t bad. Tim Tebow is.

So when he gets on national television and thanks his lord and savior Jesus Christ…I hate him. He’s giving a big, fat middle finger to everyone who isn’t religious; To the people who have been kicked out of their church for being gay; To the kids who have been evicted by their families in the name of Christ; And to the kids who’ve killed themselves because they couldn’t reconcile their feelings with the teachings of close-minded religious zealots.

Thankfully his career will be a short one in the NFL. His brand of football simply won’t last. People say he just knows how to win. Hardly. These chump teams he’s played in recently weeks have simply found a way to lose. Maybe he’ll kick around for another two to three years, but he’ll be gone before long. Thank the lord Jesus Christ for that.

For now, it’s not enough for him to win a football game and hold a prayer circle after the game: He has to get on TV and make the first words out of his mouth be about religion. He can’t make his religion a private matter, he has to plaster it on every TV in America.

And I hate him for it.
                        Also, this is clearly not extreme, amiright?

Comment

Woohoo congratulations for having something in common with the PRC
                          I'd rather have something in common with the PRC than Iran.

Comment

• It's just some face paint with a stupid message. You're getting worked up over so little.

Comment

• I'm not getting worked up over it. I'm recognizing his incessant public devotion and pushy Christian message to be creepy.

As far as I can tell, 95% of NFL players are complete morons, and he's just one of many.

Comment

• If you were a moron making millions of dollars a year maybe you'd be thanking God too

Comment

Working...
                                X