Chickenpox Lollipops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
    Erm, because illness was frequently depicted as being a punishment from God. Remember the plagues in Egypt ? The dead Assyrians ?
    Contra: Book of Job (a poetic story indicating that trying to find divine judgment in illness is going a step too far) - as it was written after the Pentateuch, it follows my view that Israel gained a greater understanding of who God was as time progressed, and let go of their primative view of God.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom View Post
      Erm, because illness was frequently depicted as being a punishment from God. Remember the plagues in Egypt ? The dead Assyrians ?
      One or two examples of miracles?

The point of those were that they were miracles! Or do you believe that no one else got sick in the Bible.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        One or two examples of miracles?

The point of those were that they were miracles! Or do you believe that no one else got sick in the Bible.

JM
        I'm fairly sure you've lost the plot. Or the point of my post. Or both.

Illness (physical, mental) is frequently depicted in the Old and New Testament as being either a punishment from God (for sins) or possession by an evil spirit. In the Old Testament it's also linked with impurity - the Hebrews being keen on purity of the blood and avoiding contamination, either through forbidden foodstuffs or touching people with obvious diseases.

Deuteronomy:

The LORD shall make the pestilence cleave unto thee, until he have consumed thee from off the land, whither thou goest to possess it.
        The LORD shall smite thee with a consumption, and with a fever, and with an inflammation, and with an extreme burning, and with the sword, and with blasting, and with mildew; and they shall pursue thee until thou perish.
        Chronicles:

And Asa in the thirtie and ninth yeere of his reigne, was diseased in his feete, untill his disease was exceeding great: yet in his disease hee sought not to the Lord, but to the Physicians.
        Three guesses what happened.

And Asa slept with his fathers, and died in the one and fortieth year of his reign.
        Put not thy faith in podiatrists.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• I believe this thread has proven conclusively that Chickenpox Lollipops produce retardation in adults.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• God produces retardation in adults.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
            X