What exactly is Texas toast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is Texas toast?

I saw this at the store and it looked like normal white bread which had just been cut thicker. Oddly enough it wasn't toasted so why not just call it thick cut bread or something? Or am I missing something here?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Because Texas starts with a t. Texas toast. It rolls off the tongue, unlike 'thick cut bread'.

Comment

Texas toast is a type of packaged bread (not sold toasted as the name implies) which is pre-sliced at double the typical thickness of most pre-sliced breads. While it can be used in the same manner as ordinary bread slices such as in sandwiches,[1] it is especially useful for dishes involving liquids or where extra thickness can improve the product, such as French toast.[citation needed] Producers of Texas toast in the United States include Wonder Bread, Franz Bakery,[2] Mrs. Bairds, and Safeway/Lucerne Foods.

Popular in Texas and the states surrounding it, Texas toast is generally served toasted as a side with southern-style dishes such as chicken fried steak, fried catfish,[3] or BBQ[4][5]. Texas Toast can also be used when making toasted sandwiches.

The actual toast itself is made by putting butter or margarine on both sides of the bread and broiling it until lightly golden brown. Depending on the recipe, the spread may have seasonings such as garlic. The toast may have cheese on one or both sides.

The best selling varieties of Texas Toast are frozen breads, sold with a garlic or garlic and cheese spread which is applied immediately after baking. The best selling brands are the New York Brand of the T. Marzetti Company, Pepperidge Farm, and Coles.

Some recipes include regular or thick-sliced bread cooked in a frying pan used to fry steak, bacon, or other meat product in order to absorb the grease from the meat.

One claimant to the invention of Texas toast is the Pig Stand restaurant chain, founded in Oak Cliff, a neighborhood of Dallas, Texas, in the early 1920s. The once-thriving chain, whose heyday in the 1940s saw over 100 locations across the United States, also claims to be the originator of the onion ring.[6] Texas toast may have been first created in 1941 at the Pig Stand in Beaumont, Texas, after a bakery order for thicker slices of bread resulted in slices too thick for the toaster and a cook who suggested buttering and grilling them as a remedy.[7]
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
        I saw this at the store and it looked like normal white bread which had just been cut thicker. Oddly enough it wasn't toasted so why not just call it thick cut bread or something? Or am I missing something here?
        You've already figured out the secret; Texas toast is simply thicker and stupider than normal bread. I think it's obvious why this is named after Texas.
        Last edited by Tupac Shakur; September 29, 2011, 11:31.

Comment

Stupider? You ignorant ass.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I'm not surprised that a fat, stupid Texan thinks that.

Comment

I'm not the one trying to use "stupider" in a sentence.

Comment

Everything is bigger in TX - even bread. Yankee bread just can't compete.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm not surprised that a fat, stupid Texan thinks that.
                  I'd wager Slowwy and I combined wouldn't weigh as much as Two - Pac.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    I'm not the one trying to use "stupider" in a sentence.
                    You would know that it's a perfectly valid construction if you weren't an idiot Texan.

Comment

Whatever you say, Einstein. I haven't even brought up how an inanimate object could be stupid to any degree whatsoever.

Comment

Tonight a friend lamented: "(So and so) thinks that I'm stupider than her!"

I giggled and said that "stupider" is not a word. I felt like an accidentally mean teenager that had just made an amazing point.

I then got home and googled the term only to find that many online dictionaries find it perfectly acceptable.

Is it a passable adjective, and, if so, why have I always thought otherwise? Does anyone else know/remember this rule?

I was raised in Dallas/Ft Worth in the 80's/90's if this makes any socio-linguistic difference. Did I have uncommonly stuffy teachers or were they just plain wrong?

****ing moronic Texans...

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                          Whatever you say, Einstein. I haven't even brought up how an inanimate object could be stupid to any degree whatsoever.
                          It's perfectly possible for an inanimate object to be stupid, you massive idiot. For example...

"Jesus, take off that stupid shirt. I'm embarrassed to be seen with a Longhorns fan."

"I don't know how to tell you this politely, Sloww, so I'll just tell you; you have a stupid face."

Comment

Strap convict to 'old sparky'. Place thick cut bread in convict's hands. Throw switch. Enjoy!
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

The general rule followed in English is that an adjective becomes "[adjective] + er/est" if it's one or two syllables, otherwise it's "more/most [adjective]." "Stupid" is two syllables, so there's no reason why something can't be "stupider" or "stupidest." Tune in next time for the passive future perfect progressive--the five-consecutive-verb monstrosity that somehow manages to be grammatically correct!
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X