Is "You've" Proper English?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
    It's really not that hard to figure out, even for someone of your meager intellect...

Contraction of "you" and "all" = "you'll"

Contraction of "ya" and "all" = "ya'll"

"Y'all" is not a real contraction. It's a false spelling of "ya'll" thought up by Yankees.

you + will = you'll

you + all = well, there is no proper contraction of you and all, but if you were to make such a contraction the only logical one would be y'all.

drake = retarded
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

there is no proper contraction of you and all

Exactly. Now, if you knew anything about colloquial American English, you'd be able to easily figure out how "ya'll" was actually derived.

That's not bad for an Englishman; it's mere ignorance holding you back, unlike the idiocy of our Northern posters.

Comment

I think we've already established that it is slang, and the only logical spelling of slang is the one most people actually use. It's spelled y'all, now get over it.

That's not bad for an Englishman; it's mere ignorance holding you back, unlike the idiocy of our Northern posters.

Drake, you live in New York City...
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

"Ya'll" is used widely in the South.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
            "Ya'll" is used widely in the South.
            As is y'all. So then why don't we just say either works, since there is by definition no correct spelling for slang anyways?

Comment

I thought Drake was from the midwest?

Comment

Nebraska, I think. He lives in NYC, as I recall.

Comment

So then why don't we just say either works

I'm fine with that, but ignorant Yankees like Sloww simply won't allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    Nebraska, I think. He lives in NYC, as I recall.
                    Which makes him an expert on southern dialects!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                      I was taught never to write* in contractions, except in familial or shorthand situatiuons such as text messages or notetaking.

That's fine if you're writing corporate memos, but for creative writing the tone frequently demands in.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                        Which makes him an expert on southern dialects!
                        Nebraska's not the south...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                          Nebraska's not the south...
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                            It's really not that hard to figure out, even for someone of your meager intellect...

Contraction of "you" and "all" = "you'll"

Contraction of "ya" and "all" = "ya'll"

"Y'all" is not a real contraction. It's a false spelling of "ya'll" thought up by Yankees.
                            Um...no.

"You'll" is the contraction for "you will".

"Y'all" is the contraction for "You all".
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• There is no contraction of "you all", precisely because the natural contraction of those two words is exactly the same as the already extant contraction for "you will".

"Ya all" turning into "ya'll", on the other hand, makes complete sense. Just try saying "ya all" quickly and see how hard it is not to say "ya'll".

Comment

• Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                                There is no contraction of "you all", precisely because the natural contraction of those two words is exactly the same as the already extant contraction for "you will".

"Ya all" turning into "ya'll", on the other hand, makes complete sense. Just try saying "ya all" quickly and see how hard it is not to say "ya'll".
                                Will not = won't.

Your argument loses water.

ACK!
                                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                                X