Is "You've" Proper English?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher View Post
    Ye is Old English, not Standard/Proper English.
    No it's not. It's Modern English. Old English is the language of the Anglo-Saxons.

You're not very learned, Asher.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

"Ye" was just an alternative of "the" in Middle English (and pronounced the same way) after the abandonment of the thorn letter "þ".

Incidentally, watching colonials debate English really is like watching the Paralympics.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Apparently not.

Ye (IPA: /jiː/) was the second-person, plural, personal pronoun (nominative), spelled in Old English as "ge". In Middle English and Early Modern English, it was used to direct an equal or superior person. It is also common today in Ireland's Hiberno-English to distinguish from the singular "you".

The use of the term "Ye" to represent an Early Modern English form of the word "the" (traditionally pronounced /ðiː/), such as in "Ye Olde Shoppe", is technically incorrect. This mistaken attribution is due to the medieval usage of the letter thorn (þ) the predecessor to the modern digraph "th". The word "The" was thus written Þe. Medieval printing presses did not contain the letter "thorn", so the y was substituted owing to its similarity with some medieval scripts, especially later ones.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraction_(grammar)

Does any of this sound proper?
          You've a car.
          They've a house.
          He's a cat. (How do you know if it's He has or He is?)

Talk to a native English speaker in conversation (i.e. fast and fluid delivery of the words) and the "h" will almost certainly be dropped, with the following "a" shortened to near non-existance.

So "they've" is a good approximation of how I would say it in conversation- unless I was deliberately slowing it down and stressing every word in order to accommodate foreigners and the elderly.

Comment

Apparently not.

Read it again.

Comment

It says you are repeating a mistaken attribution

Comment

I think I missed the point you were making there. Anyway, "you've" is fine, so stop complaining.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraction_(grammar)

Does any of this sound proper?
                  You've a car.
                  They've a house.
                  He's a cat. (How do you know if it's He has or He is?)

Have is usually contracted with the pronoun when it is an auxiliary verb. As a main verb (indicating possession), it is not normally contracted by American native-speakers.
                  It's not normally contracted in British English either from my observation. I would never say "I've a car"...it would be "I have a car" or possibly "I've got a car".
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                    It's not normally contracted in British English either from my observation. I would never say "I've a car"...it would be "I have a car" or possibly "I've got a car".

Everyone else (except apparently Drake) is in the Twilight Zone and just want to act like I'm wrong.

Comment

you've no idea al.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Everyone else (except apparently Drake) is in the Twilight Zone and just want to act like I'm wrong.
                        Doesn't technically make it wrong, but it doesn't quite sound right to my ear. But then again the boundaries between the two form of English aren't that huge (they certainly aren't two separate dialects) and influence one another significantly.
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The answer is yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

This is his stance on all things. He's right, all others are wrong.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Oh you'se guys. You'se guys is great.

Comment

We will now settle beyond all doubt by showing "I've" used correctly by David Essex.

Comment

Working...
                                X