Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No one wonder people are leaving Spain in droves.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
      Why would I apply to work a **** job for a fake phd?
      Free paella every day?
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
        errr spain's unemployment rate is about 20%-21%. i think you are correct about the youth figures though. some friends of mine attended the recent protests in madrid.

oh and what's the job?
        Bullfighter.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
          No one wonder people are leaving Spain in droves.

JM
          i know a whole group of spanish people here in rio. none of them plan to go back, as there's no work and no prospects at the moment.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
            Now, I've posted another job advert. 2000 people applied so far. Rinse and repeat.
            Pretty sociopathic.

Comment

• Zoetstiffie needed to fill 15 positions.

After four weeks, he was down to 6. A few months later he was down to 2.

I hope he's paid for recruitment and training, and not actually running the company. The manpower and training costs alone could bankrupt it.

You fail at HR.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• 4. 135 people respond. (!!! wtf, the other ~1500 couldn't be bothered ???)
                you admitted that you weren't going to read 1650 resumes so why should you expect anything different. The odds are these people probably sent their resumes to 100s of jobs and didn't feel like reading extra info. You may have been the only one to require that they read something extra. If I was an applicant, that would automatically disqualify you. Granted in a tough economy you might want to go the extra mile but that request probably didn't picture you in a good light.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Try selling that.

"Hey! If I send out articles to 1600+ people, vet 135 supplementary answers, vet another 60 CVs, interview 20 people, and train 13 people, a few months from now you could have two employees! I hope neither of them leave!"

At current rates of success, you'll end up sending out stuff to over 10,000 people to fill the rest of the places you need.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

Do you think that 50% quitting or being fired in the first two weeks is a sign that you are doing a good job hiring people? (or that you are a good place to work?)

JM
                    You seem to be under the impression that corporations are on the lookout for the brightest, fastest, most sociable workers, and that they need to battle for their/your attention. "Please come work for me, we need you, you're special!"

I think what you and rah above here are forgetting is that businesses don't exist to please employees. I run my business to make a profit, and employees have to align themselves to further that goal, not the other way around.

The point is not to get the 'best' applicant. I need someone suitable to specifications, of which there are many. It's an attraction-selection-attrition process. I have something to offer (a job), employees have something to offer (skilled labour). When requirements and offers align, we can go forward.

Comment

You seem to be under the impression that corporations are on the lookout for the brightest, fastest, most sociable workers, and that they need to battle for their/your attention. "Please come work for me, we need you, you're special!"

I think what you and rah above here are forgetting is that businesses don't exist to please employees. I run my business to make a profit, and employees have to align themselves to further that goal, not the other way around.

The point is not to get the 'best' applicant. I need someone suitable to specifications, of which there are many. It's an attraction-selection-attrition process. I have something to offer (a job), employees have something to offer (skilled labour). When requirements and offers align, we can go forward.
                      So why are you making so hard on yourself?
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• I know if I were applying for jobs, I'd not respond to such an inane request.

The reason your attrition rate is so high is because the bright people recognize that you are likely a disrespectful busybody manager and steer well clear. The 135 of people who responded aren't the brightest, they may be some of the dumbest. The way you tell the story, it sounds like you're finding the best two people of thousands. That's not at all what is happening.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• How would you have done this differently in the other steps, rah?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Those two are now halfway to being millionaires, after two years of work under my guidance. I doubt that they're stupid. Even if that would be the case, they're pretty happy about their lives.

What you don't see in my story is the difference between 'base pay' and 'bonus'.

Comment

Minimum wage is 2k/month, the most experienced employee does about 10k/month.
                              Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                              Those two are now halfway to being millionaires, after two years of work under my guidance. I doubt that they're stupid. Even if that would be the case, they're pretty happy about their lives.
                              Math. Learn it.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Those two are now halfway to being millionaires, after two years of work under my guidance. I doubt that they're stupid. Even if that would be the case, they're pretty happy about their lives.

What you don't see in my story is the difference between 'base pay' and 'bonus'.
                                But they had to work with you. So I'd call it a wash.

Comment

Working...
                                X