Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
    You forget that behind each of those instances there are still human operators that control and guide those processes. How do you think your bank card ends up in an envelope, and then enters your mail box? Who manages payments at your firm? Human beings - kicking ass since 4000BC.
    The majority of them do not have humans behind the process, unless you count sysadmins and developers.

And my point wasn't that humans are obsolete -- just tellers are.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I actually worked in check processing for Wachovia. You'd be surprised how many human operators are involved in processing when you mail a check to pay for a phone bill.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        I actually worked in check processing for Wachovia. You'd be surprised how many human operators are involved in processing when you mail a check to pay for a phone bill.
        Who the **** writes cheques to pay for bills??

What century are you all in?

I pay my bills online 100% of the time. Type in how much to pay, hit "pay". Done. No humans! No error.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
          Who the **** writes cheques to pay for bills??

What century are you all in?

I pay my bills online 100% of the time. Type in how much to pay, hit "pay". Done. No humans! No error.

O GREAT PRINCE ASHER! You are so wise and great! So modern in your thinking! We bow before thee!

and it's CHECKS, frenchie.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• And to answer your question about who writes checks to pay for bills? MILLIONS OF PEOPLE!

We got checks by the (multiple) truckload every day at Wachovia. More hundreds of pounds of mail than you have probably ever seen in your life EVERY SINGLE DAY. And this was just one bank with only a relatively few number of commercial clients; so few that the experienced ones knew the coding for each company by heart.

Comment

I hope this is a photoshop. If it's not, not cool. Even Alby doesn't deserve that. Ben, yes. Alby, no.
              I agree. Ben deserves this.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                I agree. Ben deserves this.
                I don't think he did it. We saw Darius do a rouse before with that fight versus docfeelgood. Darius seems to get a kick out of this.

Strange. I would have thought a new lawyer would have a lot less free time than this.

Comment

• Law is boring.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• What is there to get "sorted out"?
                    Well I'm deaf so anytime I need to deal with the bank I usually do it in person if I can. Phones are not great for me. Like rah I usually cash checks in person if the bank is open.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      O GREAT PRINCE ASHER! You are so wise and great! So modern in your thinking! We bow before thee!

and it's CHECKS, frenchie.
                      I don't know anyone in real life who pays via cheque anymore.

Maybe this is just another example of how advanced Canada is compared to the US. Debit use was far more common than cash even in the 1990s here...

Comment

• Well, Asher, all I know is I saw first hand the volume of checks we'd get at Wachovia just from people paying bills to our few dozen commercial clients (I believe Comcast was one). Millions of people still mail checks. That's why those companies would outsource it to banks like Wachovia.

Comment

• I deal with cheques on my UK accounts. A number of these stupid, backwards UK companies refuse to pay electronically. No, of course I have to wait for cheques to arrive, and then physically go to a bank, hand it over, sign, and wait for it to clear. Sigh.

Comment

• Darius, please tell me you didn't actually do that. What would the clients of the Law Offices of JD Hass have to say about these shenanigans that you're presumably charging billable hours for?
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                              Alternatively, has Albert been "let go" yet?

If this is real, major dick move, dude. I hope this is shopped.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I don't know anyone in real life who pays via cheque anymore.

Maybe this is just another example of how advanced Canada is compared to the US. Debit use was far more common than cash even in the 1990s here...
                                I pay with checks every so often....
                                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                                X