A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeBro View Post
    IMO very good episode overall, even if I agree with the "rushed" feeling somewhat.

I'm wondering if...

Spoiler:
    ...the hottie Sand daughter is doomed to dead for sure, or if Bronn gets her out again in time (assuming the dose she got was made so she would not die too fast)
    Well, if...
    Spoiler:
    ... she is dead, it just makes you wonder, once again, what they were even trying to do with the Dorne plot.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

Well, if...
      Spoiler:
      ... she is dead, it just makes you wonder, once again, what they were even trying to do with the Dorne plot.
      Spoiler:

I have no doubt that she is dead ... as was mentioned, the only person (aside form Ellaria) who would have a special interest in keeping Tyene alive, Bronn, is away at Highgarden and, considering how the poison affected Myrcella a few seasons ago (and also Ellaria till she took the antidote), I assume that Tyene was already lost after ony an hour of not taking the antidote (Myrcella IIRRC already was in the last stage of her poisoning, when the ship still was in plain sight of the port)

Guess we will see Ellaria watching Tyene taking her last breath in the next episode.
      And perhaps in the final season we might see the victorious troops (probably of Daenerys) enter the dungeon of Kings landing and find an insane Ellaria, near the skeleton of Tyene.

As for the Dorne-Plot itself:
      Perhaps this will be the right time to get to know the other Sandsnakes, who might now become the new rulers over Dorne, consdiering that they are the last eligible heirs to the throne, now that Ellria and her 3 main Sandsnakes are dead and/or incarcerated
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• I have to ask again where are the dragons? They should be devastating against wooden sailing ships.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
          I have to ask again where are the dragons? They should be devastating against wooden sailing ships.
          Spoiler:

Only against ships they can see

The attack against both fleets was a surprise attack (actually Dany doesn't know about the secnd surprise attack by now) ... and in order to actively search and destroy Eurons fleet, it fist has to be found ... and it is a very long coastline which Dany would have to search. ... and I am quite sure that dragons won't be able to fly 24/7, but will have to land and/or eat every couple of hours (making Dany quite vulnerable during this time)
          Also, Tyrion and Missandei already advise against Dany oing on a earch and destroy mission, because they fear that she (as dragonrider) will be quite vunerable against arrows getting shot from the ships
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Spoiler:

Dany can keep out of range at high altitude while directing the other dragons to go down and wipe out Euron's ships. As for the logistics of searching a large coast line, that would not have been necessary. After the first attack, it would be obvious that you would need to protect your other naval force. You don't have to find Euron. He would have come to you.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
              Spoiler:

Dany can keep out of range at high altitude while directing the other dragons to go down and wipe out Euron's ships. As for the logistics of searching a large coast line, that would not have been necessary. After the first attack, it would be obvious that you would need to protect your other naval force. You don't have to find Euron. He would have come to you.
              Spoiler:
              Dany only learned from the attack a long time after it had happened (after all, the few surviving shps first had to make the way back to Dragonstone). Meanwhile the fleet of Grey Worm already was on its travel for several days and Dany had too much to do (doing diplomatic negotiations with Jon Snow) than to have the time to follow the fleet, just for the pure suspicion that Euron might come after the 2nd half of the fleeet as well.
              (and actually, considering the lead of several days that grey worms fleet had, it is not very believable that Eurons fleet (with Euron first going back to Kings landing in order to have is triumph) was able to arrive at Casterly Rock just in time to destroy Grey Worms Fleet, when he had conquered the castle)

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

Well, if...
                Spoiler:
                My guess is the dorne plot in the books will be way more complex will probably involve (f)Aegon so D&D felt they had to include some of it some how but they cut out all of those parts of the book so there really wasn't much to work into the television show.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Spoiler:

Only against ships they can see

The attack against both fleets was a surprise attack (actually Dany doesn't know about the secnd surprise attack by now) ... and in order to actively search and destroy Eurons fleet, it fist has to be found ... and it is a very long coastline which Dany would have to search. ...
                  Spoiler:

Well, how sneaky can a 1,000 fleet be?

Speaking of which: http://mashable.com/2017/07/22/euron.../#jQLryTmMeaqw
                  The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dry View Post

Spoiler:

Well, how sneaky can a 1,000 fleet be?

Speaking of which: http://mashable.com/2017/07/22/euron.../#jQLryTmMeaqw
                    Spoiler:
                    Realistically speaking surely not sneaky enough to surprise another fleet the way that Eurons fleet did with the one of Ellaria during last weeks episode. EDven if we take into account the fog and the night, one would have to say that this would have affected Eurons ships the same way as Yaras ships.But for the general visibility of Eurons fleet, I guess that depends on how near to the coast he actually sails.

As for the link: IO totally agree, I actually mentioned the same counterargument to him, building 1000 ships, i.e., because he would lack the wood. There actually is a fine example: The italian pensinsula. Before roman times it still had lots of woods. Nowadays it is scarecly wooded, reason being that the romans needed lots of wood for shipbuilding. Therefore it is rather unimaginable how he would procure enough wood from his rocky islands

Comment

• Of course - to add some history nerdism - numbers in ancient or medieval sources are often (not always tho) shady, for various reasons. And while GoT is fantasy is builds a lot on medieval topics.

There numbers could be "propaganda" (for various reasons, for example to downplay own losses in a battle), simply lack of knowledge about any real numbers, or have primarily symbolic meaning so that XXXX means more something like "a whole lot"

Blah

Comment

• I wonder what Samwell Tarley will do after his father and brother get killed along with the rest of the Lannister forces next episode. The Night's Watch is going to be finished soon so it is not like an oath to a dead organization is any oath at all. He might as well just take up being the new lord of horn hill.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• If he becomes maester, he will be bound by another set of similar vows.
                          In order for him to become lord of Horn Hill, he'll need to give up his studies.

If the wall falls (Shaka) and the night watch is thus dissolved, I pretty much see him Grand Maester in the Small Council, advising whoever sits on the iron throne.
                          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• Are maesters allowed to have a wife and kids?

Comment

• Nice. I knew the fleet was wrong, but good that someone crunched the numbers.

Comment

• Maesters take an oath of celibacy, but unlike the Night's watch, clearly not one of chastity.

Qyburn is an ex-maester that has been stripped of his chain, so it seems they can be expelled from the order. Logic would suggest that if they can be expelled, they are also allowed to resign.

Comment

Working...
                                X