No announcement yet.

A Game of Thrones - TV Show Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suspect the show won't go much into the religion of the Faceless Men, but (imo) the reason it plays out the way it does is because...
    Spoiler:
    ...people are essentially mistaken about the Faceless Men being an assassin's guild.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Surprised there hasn't been more discussion about the Sansa story line.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I think it's a mistake, unless there's a plot we don't know about yet.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Big time mistake, IMO.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• To cover their A** they go out of their way to have LF spout how little he knows about him so he won't appear so dickish.
            Spoiler:

But I think that statement just makes him appear more fallible. How could he not know about the results of his tax collecting.
            Those are the types of things that everyone talks about and would be secret.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I get the Sansa change. Rather than have her dick around in the Eyrie with Robin/Robert, they're giving her a plot line the books reserved for a minor character I've forgotten the name of.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Jeyne Poole. But what happens to Jeyne Poole probably doesn't happen to Sansa.

The Sansa plot makes no sense at all but they thought want to conserve the number of characters I suppose. There are a number of things that got changed for simplicity that make it all "work" together:

Spoiler:
                Jon's apparently going to Hardhome, so there's no pink letter and therefore no need for fake arya shenanigans
                Mance isn't going to Winterfell, Brienne is instead
                Davos isn't going to White Harbor or securing Rickon it seems, so Sansa's standing in as the real Stark to become ruler of Winterfell

Comment

• She dicks around learning the tools of the trade from Littlefinger, however. Who had a much more brilliant plan in the books.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Actually I'm enjoying this season a bit more because they're past where I stopped reading the books.
                    I don't get irritated when the make a change I think is stupid and I don't always know what's going to happen.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• His plan in the books is fantastic (although doomed to fail I think). Here, he's thrown the key to his rule of the Vale over to his biggest regional rival (Lord Royce), he's sending Sansa to marry a complete psychopath who he claims to have no knowledge of on the hope that somehow she'll be running the place and not Ramsay (or perhaps hoping Stannis will take the place over? idk), even though Roose Bolton ****ing murdered her father and is in bed with the Lannisters. It makes no sense at all. Show Littlefinger acts like a complete ****ing ******.

In the books, you get the sudden realization right before he murders Lysa (and pins it on the singer rather than doing the whole suicide wink wink thing) that he's been behind everything, and it all comes together as one huge masterstroke. In the show it seems like he's just failing upwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                        Jeyne Poole.
                        I know, but a casual reading of the series could leave you utterly flummoxed as to who Jeyne Poole is when she suddenly pops back into the picture.

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        She dicks around learning the tools of the trade from Littlefinger, however. Who had a much more brilliant plan in the books.
                        She's still learning the trade, kind of. And I still have no idea what Littlefinger's plan is, in the books or the show.

Comment

• Yes, my wife, who never read any of the books saw this and said, "I thought you said he was a mastermind, but he's more of an idiot if he doesn't know what's going on here"
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                            In the books, you get the sudden realization right before he murders Lysa (and pins it on the singer rather than doing the whole suicide wink wink thing) that he's been behind everything, and it all comes together as one huge masterstroke. In the show it seems like he's just failing upwards.
                            Yep. And I agree with you on the book-Littlefinger's plan being brilliant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              I know, but a casual reading of the series could leave you utterly flummoxed as to who Jeyne Poole is when she suddenly pops back into the picture.

She's still learning the trade, kind of. And I still have no idea what Littlefinger's plan is, in the books or the show.
                              It hardly matters who she is.

Littlefinger's plan in the books is to marry Sansa to the heir of the Vale and have Lord Robert (Robin in the show) bite the dust through medical malpractice. Thus uniting the Vale and the North in one dynasty under his control, while Littlefinger himself is Lord Paramount of the Riverlands via his seat at Harrenhal.

It's all part of a long-running scheme, too; killing Joffrey and framing Tyrion gets Sansa out of her marriage while providing him with the opportunity to spirit her away. The marriage to Tyrion itself was also engineered by him, to keep her from slipping out of his grasp to Highgarden.

Comment

• Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                                I'm talking about your spoiler which allowed me to correctly deduce that:

Spoiler:
                                Aegon Targaryen has been written out of the TV series - look Tyrion gets to Volantis all by himself!

So, yes, thanks for that Oerdin!
                                All I said is the show is decidedly breaking with the book and going their own way. You can guess what ever you want from that but a reasonable person wouldn't call that a spoiler.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X