Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you ever take a person less seriously because of their accent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
    Sure, but unlike your southern slander, that comment is totally true. It used to drive me crazy up there. All these ****ing turds "speaking" as fast as they could but saying nothing of interest. They seem to think they sound intelligent if they speak quickly. It's quite bizarre.
    Slow talking yokels down south
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      Because those people are not worth my time, of course. When I hear them talk, I know right away to save my time and move on.

Same deal when encountering someone wearing an AC/DC shirt or a Che Guevera shirt.
      You just said NYers sound the same way but you've learned that they can be smart because you have met investment bankers with that accent.

How many times do I have to get through your thick skull that as soon as you know some smart people with Philly or Jersey or Baltimore or whatever else accents that you'll reconfigure your views just as you did about NYers?

And it's mind boggling to me how a Philly accent could sound retarded. You described it as ghetto gangster but apparently you don't know what that means because white people in Philly have the strongest Philly accents of all.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
        At least southerners who speak slowly dont attribute intelligence to their speech mannerisms. Thoughtfullness, perhaps, but not intelligence.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

You just said NYers sound the same way but you've learned that they can be smart because you have met investment bankers with that accent.

How many times do I have to get through your thick skull that as soon as you know some smart people with Philly or Jersey or Baltimore or whatever else accents that you'll reconfigure your views just as you did about NYers?
          There ARE no smart people in Philly.

And it's mind boggling to me how a Philly accent could sound retarded.
          I rest my case.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
            At least southerners who speak slowly dont attribute intelligence to their speech mannerisms. Thoughtfullness, perhaps, but not intelligence.
            Intelligent people can comprehend what's being said, even if it's said at a high rate of speed.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
              I usuAlly take-ah people speaking with Italian accent-ah less-ah seriously. They-ah sound-ah ridiculous.
              When your princess gets trapped in a maze-network of plumbing and castles, you-ah go to the experts.

Comment

question to Asher

Don't you ever have problems understanding rappers?
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                  I don't take Provost Harrison seriously. Not sure the accent is to blame though.
                  I like the element of surprise it gives me
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                    question to Asher

Don't you ever have problems understanding rappers?
                    Never. I don't listen to rap.

Comment

Mid-Atlantic accent? Is that spoken by fish or something?
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Intelligent people can comprehend what's being said, even if it's said at a high rate of speed.
                        You missed the point.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that all the people up in that area speak like that. I did note a correlation with those who felt there 'ivy league' education was worth more than a fiddlers fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                            I don't take Provost Harrison seriously. Not sure the accent is to blame though.
                            You'll take him seriously when you see him careening down the street while driving a car. (SCREEEEECH!)
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Southerners do not talk slower than people from other regions of the United States. Another southern myth
                              Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Anyway saw this on youtube... Philadelphia

What a **** hole.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X