No announcement yet.

Healthy, Tasty, Easy to Make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose it depends how you define "easy to make." I can make something tasty easily--fry it. I can make something healthy but rather boring easily--it's called a salad. Making something delicious and healthy, I think, takes a certain amount of artistry. But that might also depend on what you think is tasty, and where you draw the line for "healthiness."
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It kind of is when talking about meat to some extent. The cheaper cuts tend to be the ones with lots of sinew, fat, that take longest to cook to reduce the toughness. eg. neck, shoulder. The 'prime' expensive cuts like fillets are the ones you can sear quickly.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

But in app dev., I've never seen an exception to the rule where in cooking I have. (and yes, depending on the definition of good)
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yeah, you need to redefine good as "good enough". Things like agile techniques aim to address that.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            But in app dev., I've never seen an exception to the rule where in cooking I have. (and yes, depending on the definition of good)
            A BLT for example is a great exception. Fry bacon, toast bread, slather on mayo, slice tomato, rip lettuce, BAM! delicious sandwich.
            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

And many stir fries.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                A BLT for example is a great exception. Fry bacon, toast bread, slather on mayo, slice tomato, rip lettuce, BAM! delicious sandwich.
                Not all would agree that bacon and mayo are healthy.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

And while they do make healthier versions of bacon, it's almost sacrilegious to eat the stuff

"I'm having a ribeye steak made out of tofu!" [is instantly transported to hell]
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    Not if that's the only thing you ever eat.

But seriously, two slices of bacon, some mayo, it's not gonna kill you if you have it once a week.
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      Sacrilege. Clearly, Bacon and mayo are cornerstones of any healthy diet.

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                      Not if that's the only thing you ever eat.

But seriously, two slices of bacon, some mayo, it's not gonna kill you if you have it once a week.
                      Yeah, moderation is key but you do need more then just two strips of bacon to make a good BLT. With mayo you can switch to light mayo pretty easily on a hot meal like a BLT (well the toast and bacon are hot so even the cheap low fat mayo melts well). It's the cold sandwiches where light mayo tastes like watery paint.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I don't eat bacon but thought this was funny:

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                          Sacrilege. Clearly, Bacon and mayo are cornerstones of any healthy diet.

Yeah, moderation is key but you do need more then just two strips of bacon to make a good BLT. With mayo you can switch to light mayo pretty easily on a hot meal like a BLT (well the toast and bacon are hot so even the cheap low fat mayo melts well). It's the cold sandwiches where light mayo tastes like watery paint.
                          Any more than 2 strips and it's a Blt

Comment

• Home-made mayo
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              When I read the thread title, I immediately thought of the old story about the "design triangle." You know, good, cheap, and fast. You can make a product any two of the three, but never all three--if you want it good and cheap, it'll take time. You can get it fast and cheap, but it won't be very good. Et cetera. I think there might be a similar rule at work here.

Be that as it may, I've turned my limited cooking skills to the probably-not-all-that-healthy fried pork sammitch. Melt butter in a saucepan, add brown sugar, mix them together. Toss in some apple slices (one apple per sandwich) and cook them a little while over low heat. Meanwhile, slice up a reasonably sized pork chop. When the apples are soft, remove them and fry the pork hunks in the brown sugar/apple crud. Once they're all cooked (and salted, of course), toss everything on a suitable roll. They have some nice sweet potato rolls down here.

It's a work in progress, I'm gonna see if I can improve it. Just thought I'd throw it out there, since I like it.
                              A touch of cinnamon powder on the apples perhaps?
                              Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                              I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                                Looking for some good bachelor chef recipes to impress the girls. I have been reasonably successful with (1) steak in red wine sauce; and (2) spaghetti in white wine sauce with bacon. Pretty tough to mess up, thankfully.

Have any favorites?

Lamb shanks with quince. I cooked it in Australia where quinces are quite large.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X