Healthy, Tasty, Easy to Make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy, Tasty, Easy to Make?

Looking for some good bachelor chef recipes to impress the girls. I have been reasonably successful with (1) steak in red wine sauce; and (2) spaghetti in white wine sauce with bacon. Pretty tough to mess up, thankfully.

Have any favorites?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Hamburger Helper with a Coke.

Comment

Osso Bucco. That's cross-sections of veal shins stewed in stock. An Italian classic.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I've been looking around the web for osso bucco recipes. A good selection.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'm also a big fan of Italian rabbit stew. There's a good recipe here- http://www.chow.com/recipes/12782-italian-rabbit-stew
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Beef sherry/stroganoff

2-3 lbs cubed beef
            Several cans of golden mushroom soup
            1-2 cans onion soup
            1-2 cups dry sherry
            Diced mushrooms
            Optional: Sour cream
            Optional: Hot sauce

Bake covered at 350 degrees for 3 hours, stirring every hour, add more mushroom soup if the liquid level gets too low. When it's finished baking, boil some egg noodles and mix them in. This will feed you for about seven to ten days, so lower the portions if you're not that fond of leftovers.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Although Osso Bucco is awesome, be aware that many people are averse to veal.
              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Fish stew

2-3 lbs cubed salmon (I buy fillets, remove the skin, and chop them up)
                Several cans of clam chowder
                1-2 chopped and caramelized onions
                Diced shrimp/clams/etc
                1-2 cups dry white wine
                Optional: 1 bottle clam juice (in the canned fish section of the grocery store)
                Optional: Hot sauce

Bake covered at 350 degrees for 90 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes, add water if it gets dry but this is unlikely. When it's finished baking, boil some egg noodles and mix them in. This will feed you for about seven to ten days, so lower the portions etc.

Comment

Poached salmon with mustard sauce

I make extra mustard sauce and serve this with couscous, the mustard sauce goes well with it

Comment

Throw interesting flavours on a green salad.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The fish stew and beef stroganoff really look good for me. My girl's not fond of clams or mushrooms, however. It looks like you could be creative with those recipes however...

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
                        Although Osso Bucco is awesome, be aware that many people are averse to veal.
                        Luckily, she is not squeamish.

Comment

My sister-in-law doesn't like mushrooms either, but she said that the mushrooms in the beef stroganoff weren't noticeable. However, you can substitute cream of potato soup instead; likewise you can substitute cream of potato soup for the clam chowder in the fish stew (or cream of mushroom soup if your girlfriend agrees that the mushroom soup isn't a problem).

Comment

Beef and barley stew is always good.

I impressed Galnemer on our second date by making a simple, sauceless, brightly colored pasta dish that's great for the summer.

Chop three bell peppers (I prefer one red, one yellow, one orange for the pleasant color contrast) into squares roughly 1-1.5 cm a side.
                            Cut about half of a carton of grape tomatoes in half.
                            Add a liberal amount of fresh chopped basil, to taste. Two to four pressed garlic cloves, as well.
                            Salt and pepper to taste.
                            Toss in olive oil so that it is coating the veggies, add a dash of basalmic vinegar.

Toss all that stuff together with a pound of pasta--I find penne rigate makes the best aesthetics with the veggies.

Sprinkle each bowl with some fresh Italian cheese of your choice (mozzarella and/or asiago work best).

Profit!

Also works well if served as a side with some grilled chicken.

Kebabs are also always fun and easy to make and eat, especially with some simple white rice tossed with lime juice and cilantro.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I can see the cream of potato soup substitute.

Comment

Working...
                              X