No announcement yet.

Why is Atlas shrugging now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, I'm not a crazy libertarian. In fact I'm quite reasonable.
    What's wrong with being a crazy libertarian? Can you really qualify as one without reading Rand?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm probably reading too much into this but one of the most popular political hack things to do lately is to come out with political movies a year or two before an election. Michael Moore used to do it all the time plus before the 2008 election there was a movie about Bush which basically was a political hit piece. There was one anti-Obama movie which went more or less straight to video in 2009-2010 but I'm guessing the righties are trying again by timing this release just over a year before the 2012 election on purpose.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
        I'm a libertarian and have never read it.
        It's a work of fiction where a hieress claims she's worked hard for all of her money (when in fact she inherited the company from her father) and the evil, big bad, government comes in to destroy it. She also steals stuff from another company but justifies it as getting back all the money the government "stole from her" in taxes. Everyone who isn't independently wealth is depicted in the book as being lazy, shiftless, stupid, and borderline criminal. It's basically an extremely poorly written anti-government political screed trying to pretend it is fiction mixed in with a huge dose of class warfare nonsense.("The poor deserve it!")
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The thing that most amuses me is when Christians call themselves a big fan of Rand, not realizing she hated religion (should be obvious that a hyper-individualist would despise a communitarian system).
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The thing that most amuses me is when Christians call themselves a big fan of Rand, not realizing she hated religion (should be obvious that a hyper-individualist would despise a communitarian system).
            Not to mention Objectivism is a materialist philosophy, kind of contradicts substance dualism.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Reality kind of contradicts substance dualism, too, but nevermind that.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                I realised the whole philosophy was a crock of smelly brown stuff.
                Chocolate Ice Cream?
                APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  What's wrong with being a crazy libertarian? Can you really qualify as one without reading Rand?
                  Aside from the fact they are crazy?

This would be an example of crazy libertarians in these parts:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/Canada+freemen/3748349/story.html
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                    It's a work of fiction where a hieress claims she's worked hard for all of her money (when in fact she inherited the company from her father) and the evil, big bad, government comes in to destroy it. She also steals stuff from another company but justifies it as getting back all the money the government "stole from her" in taxes. Everyone who isn't independently wealth is depicted in the book as being lazy, shiftless, stupid, and borderline criminal. It's basically an extremely poorly written anti-government political screed trying to pretend it is fiction mixed in with a huge dose of class warfare nonsense.("The poor deserve it!")
                    Well I guess you saved me the effort.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      I think it's a "my enemy's enemy is my friend" thing. She hated the gummint, and that's enough. How obvious is her anti-theism in the books? I'm sure as hell not going to read them to find out--the little snippets I've read sound like Nietzsche reincarnated as an economics professor. All of the strong assertions, none of the poetry, and she takes twenty times as long to say it--what could be better?
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        However the Mathematical universe hypothesis does complicate matters a tad.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                          Reality and your personal perceptions or beliefs are not the same thing.
                          Last edited by Kidlicious; February 23, 2011, 19:46.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X